Old JD 214, good or bad???

/ Old JD 214, good or bad??? #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
I have the opportunity to buy a trade in 214 Lawn Tractor. I'm not sure of the year but these were built from around 1975- 1982 or so. I have no experience with these but it has a 14 Hp Kohler, variable speed lever and a decent looking deck. It looks a lot heavier duty than what is sold at Home Depot and Wally world.

I guess what I should ask is, Is there anything that would wear out that would cost more to fix than its worth? Tranny, differential, etc???

The dealer wants about $700 as they are putting on a new fuel pump.

/ Old JD 214, good or bad??? #2  
I think he is a little stiff on the price. I bought a 210 for $300.00 and it was a clean one owner machine. The problem spot on the 200 series machines was the variator. The center sheave (that moves back and forth to control speed) will wear into the center of the fixed sheave. They are pretty pricey to replace. Sometimes a well placed drop of oil into the sheave will help the situation without sheave replacement, but if it has worn too far, they would need to be replaced. Make sure also that there is not a lot of play in the steering. Steering worms are not cheap ether. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Old JD 214, good or bad???
Thanks for the info. Is there an easy way to check the center sheave without taking it apart? Or what should I check while test driving it?

/ Old JD 214, good or bad??? #4  
While you are driving it, just make sure that the variator lever will move forward and back. When you move the lever forward, you should go faster and when the lever is pulled back, you should slow down. If the tractor doesn't change speed there is a problem. Side note: if the variator is working, when you run the tractor with the mower engaged and travel uphill, the tractor will slow down a bit by itself. The variator "senses" load and will do this to keep the engine rpm up. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Old JD 214, good or bad??? #5  
The 214 is a true garden tractor, with full ground engaging capabilities. I have a 210 that I bought last summer for $500. I too agree that $700 sounds a bit steep, but it would depend on condition and what options the tractor is equiped with. A hydraulic lift and or rear sleeve hitch would justify the price. The Kohler engines are extremely reliable and easily rebuilt. Parts are available for most of the tractor. Check the tranny for any noises, and as mentioned use the variator lever to see if the speed changes.

/ Old JD 214, good or bad??? #6  
Oil on that sheave shaft tends to collect dirt and get sticky. I found a spray or squirt of WD40 was the way to keep it working better than oil.

They are good tractors but do need attention to keep them running good, especially the variator (its great when working right).

And pricey to change when let go and become worn out.

I'd guess that the $700 is a figure that will get the buyer some dealer help if all isn't just right after the sale. I doubt a personal sale would be that high, but the dealer can usually expect the buyer to be standing on his doorstep if everything isn't 'just right'.

Well I went and test drove it and its a bit too loose and shakey for me. Not sure what year model it was but about 25-30 years old. I'm now looking at the cheaper L111 model: $1799 20 HP v-twin. I won't need it until late this summer or early fall.

/ Old JD 214, good or bad??? #8  
That's too bad the JD 214 didn't work out for you. I have a 216 (16 HP Kohler Cast Iron engine in it) and I use it for everything. Those Kohler engines are great, and while the HP might not be up there with the new Kawis, they have WAY more torque in my opinion. In fact, my neighbor has a new GT from deere and we decided to hook them drawbar to drawbar and have a little tug of war on dirt. I dragged him in low gear for about 50 feet with his tires spinning. His is way nicer for mowing with the hydro, but they just don't have the weight of the newer ones or the torque.

As a note, if you want to use your tractor for anything other than mowing, you're going to be better off with that 214 and it's associated maintenance than a new 100 series from JD. The old 200 series were build a lot heavier and can be used with a single bottom plow with very little problem. However, if you want a mowing machine, the LTs will be much nicer with the hydro tranny.

Good luck in your search!

The mower will only mow. I have a 4310 with FEL and 5' shredder (rotary mower) to get the heavy stuff.

/ Old JD 214, good or bad??? #10  
If that's the case, I'd get the LT. Great little machines for mowing and the hydro would be great.

Good luck!