ZTR pivoting axel

/ ZTR pivoting axel #1  

Spiffy

Veteran Member
Tractor
PT2445; several ag machines and classics
I'm probably going to answer my own question, but in the spirit of "if it ain't broke, you haven't modified it far enough" I have to ask:

I just bought a Snapper NZM21521KWV; everything I was looking for....except the pivoting front axel like the Cub Cadets and a few other makes (liked the looks of IFS like Ferris etc too, but sounds like overkill and looks like too much work for a mod).

It doen't ride bad and certainly built stout, but I think it could do better. Maybe it's just me, but the front end looks like it's begging for the mod (sorry no pics yet). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Reasons not to:
1. Have yet to cut grass with it, so can't honestly say it isn't good enough. Of course, once my mother gets it, I won't get to touch it again, unless my wife kidnaps it occassionally to do our place [or it needs maintenance]. It'll see some abuse, but not an extreme amount of nasty bumps or side hills.

2. I'm sure that puts the warranty right out the window!
Yeah, I probably did answer my own questions, but still curious! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So....
Just how desirable (or undesirable) is this feature?
Am I completely nuts to even consider the mod? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If not: I think I know how I'd do it, but any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chad

/ ZTR pivoting axel #2  
Just one...wait until the warranty runs out!!

/ ZTR pivoting axel #3  
Spiffy, Gotta tell ya , the lesco has the pivoting front axle and it is nice for traversing from level ground to a grade up or down.

Used it today as a matter of fact for the first full cutting of the year and what used to take 4+ hours was reduced to 2:45 minutes and I'm just getting used to it ! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Although you do pick it up pretty quick /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Posted pics in the photo section if you care to see. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ ZTR pivoting axel
Nasty137,
Wow; thanks for posting the pictures ; you weren't exagerating that it looks identical to the M60 Tank! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you get the cutting speed I think that deck's capable of, I bet you'll have it in 2 hours flat in no time. Too awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'll keep you posted on the Snapper. That front end is still teasing me, but my better sense keeps saying the same as Gamble77 just did.

Chad

/ ZTR pivoting axel
Thanks Gamble77!! I'm afraid you may be right. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Of course, if anyone still has some creative ideas, I'll print them out and stash them right along with my warranty papers! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chad

/ ZTR pivoting axel #6  
In my ongoing quest for the perfect ZTR (!) I have concluded that I want something with at least a pivoting front axle, if not suspension like the Ferris. I came to this conclusion after watching a guy mow with a John Deere that had a fixed front end and the thing spent more time on three wheels than on four! I'm sure you get used to it, but I kinda like the idea of keeping them all on the ground.

BTW - Went today to take a closer look at a Ferris 1500, and they were all gone. Dealer said they had been selling like hotcakes and they don't know when they will get more in. After my first visit looking at it, I was impressed, and I think the IFS sounds like a pretty good setup. Any thoughts?

/ ZTR pivoting axel #7  
<font color="blue"> Went today to take a closer look at a Ferris 1500, and they were all gone. </font>

What does the unit cost?

/ ZTR pivoting axel #9  
I am looking at the Ferris 1500 with a 48" deck, priced at $5,490 in Central Ky., the 52" jumps to $6,790. Simplicity Citation is similar but different motors, uses B & S Vanguard, 48" is $5,399 and 52" is $5,999. I've tried them out, nice ride the IFS does make a difference on rough terrain and also on hills/slopes. I've seen some debate on the moving parts issue and also Simplicity using B&S where Ferris uses Kohler & Kawaski. The simplicity has rear rolling bar across back of deck and corner wheels as wheel. Ferris uses no rear deck wheels at all, they say they aren't needed due to rear of deck being higher than front. I think they'd still be prudent though especially on uneven ground.

/ ZTR pivoting axel
Considering the suspension on 4 wheelers and everything now, I'd say IS is well proven, but you just can't get simpler than a pivoting axel.

If the extra moving parts don't scare you, I'd think IFS is fine. No experience with IS on mowers myself, but unless you're really after the perfect ride, or plan to mow at 10mph, I'm not sure the gains over pivoting are huge. Of course, considering you ride nearly over the back wheels anyway, the 4 wheel IS [instead of just front] may have merit. Combine that with a "floating" seat, I bet it's comfy! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'd say [between pivot & IS] base your choices on other factors first, but I'm the one still trying to figure out how to get one or the other around my warranty! After two years, you guys might have the verdict anyway...maybe the wait isn't so bad... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chad