Engine Quality

/ Engine Quality #1  

vicory

Tractor
Yanmar 220D
I'm looking at three different ZTR's, they each have a different engine, thus the question, all are in range of 20 to 21HP, it's the common 3, Kohler at 20HP, Kawasaki and Briggs & Stratton Vanguard big block.

I'm leaning towards unit with the Briggs but checking to see what others thoughts are on engine quality.

/ Engine Quality #2  
I'd be happy with any of those engines.

/ Engine Quality #3  
Within each brand, it depends on the version of engine, and the specs used to build the engine. I've learned over the years that engines can come with cheap internal parts that will meet the specs of the corporate buyer, but not add anything to the quality or long-term life of the engine. I recall engines being built with bushings instead of bearings, plus bearings come in all range of quality.

So, getting a good read on a brand of engine, doesn't mean much. If each engine had one standard spec then over time, we would know which would last the longest.

I would opt for water cooled, rather than air cooled. But that is just a quirk that I have.

My neighbor had bad luck with a Briggs air cooled, but it was a result of mice making a nest in one side of the cylinder cover, overheating that cylinder and burning it out. Expensive to repair. Fault of the engine? Probably not. But the Briggs name took the fall.

Kawasaki's have been good to me in several Deere lawn tractors. But then I didn't have one that had the plastic cam gear (I think that was a problem) which caused Kawasaki to take a hit.

I think Kohler has improved its image recently, as has Briggs, but there were years where their cheap imitations hurt them a lot.

/ Engine Quality #4  
I've got a 17 HP Kawasaki in my John Deere. It has had a lot of use and I have had no problems. I don't like the Briggs but that's just my opinion.

/ Engine Quality #5  
Vicory,

Go with the Kawasaki. It is better designed and generally a better engine than the other two. I have had and used all three brands and the Kawa is a superior engine to the others, and I used to be a Kohler man. The only down side is of the Kawasaki's I have used, each seems to have used more fuel than its equivalent Kohler or Briggs.

John M

/ Engine Quality #6  
I am not familiar with the specs on those engines, but here is my rule. Never buy a small engine without steel or cast iron sleeves in the cylinder. Aluminum bore engines don't last very well.

Ben