broadcast v drop spreaders

/ broadcast v drop spreaders #1  

Freds

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & ZD326s
Got a little question.
I'd like to get a spreader for my lawn tractor. After looking through the Northern Tool catalogue I am totally confused as to whether I want a drop or broadcast. Things running through my mind are:
The broadcast spreader will get the job done quicker, but The 42" drop spreader would allow me to mow and fertilize at the same time with the 60" deck that I have.
Why the huge price difference in broadcast spreaders? They jump from $55 for a 85lb cap up to $220 for a 175lb cap. Roughly double the capacity, but 4 times the price.

I am loooking to use it in my yard for fertilizer, but it may see action (most likely) at the garden I want to start this year, which will be 50' x 100 - 200'. I'm am also not sure how much adjusting I may need to do with different products and if one is better at this than the other. I am very /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks for any insight!

/ broadcast v drop spreaders #2  
I like the broadcast over the drop simply because the drop is hard to not overlap (too much and get a dark green stripe) and to miss as strip (non-green stripe in the lawn).

With the broadcast, I can make several passes and not have stripes showing up, although I admit to not putting on fertilizer very heavy, which helps.

As to cost, I suspect going to the bigger bin size means much heavier construction. I doubt it is a 2:1 ratio as you are thinking. Also, the bigger size is likely more a commercial product which often is made heavier and will last longer (so to speak).

I am frustrated over my broadcast spreader because the wheels are too close together and it is tippy on slight side hills, especially if there is uneven ground with 'bumps'. The bigger ones seem to have the wheels in a wider stance. But then storage of the spreader enters into the equation. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ broadcast v drop spreaders #3  
I have to agree with beenthere. I like the broadcast the best. I just bought a 75lb spreader at Lowes for about $55, I think. Not much more than that. Real nice with 8 inch pneumatic tires. It's an Agri-fab. I've used it a couple of times so far and am pleased with it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

/ broadcast v drop spreaders #4  
I used an AgriFab broadcast spreader for many years, towed behind a JD 318. I preferred it over the drop spreaders for the reasons already given. It worked really well. My only complaint was that it only held about 100 pounds of fertillizer. When the plastic impeller that distributes the fertillizer finally started to crack and break and the rust got really bad, I replaced it with a Befco 203, 3pt, pto driven spreader that'll hold about 250 pounds easily. Much better spreader but also a lot more bucks. For the number of times I use it in a year, 3 or 4, I don't know if the cost difference between a new Agri-Fab and the Befco is justified ... probably not but it is much nicer and easier to use.

I don't think I'd mow and fertillize at the same time. I seems to me that it could lead to some really uneven application.

/ broadcast v drop spreaders
Thank you all for the excellent input. I've decided on the broadcast spreader because of it.
I'll go check out TSC and the like and see which one has a wider stance without being overkill for my uses. When I spread fertilizer last year the place where I bought it let me use their 3PH broadcast spreader, but now with my heavier tractor and loaded tires... I'd just as soon use my lawn tractor and have a spreader handy when I need it. Maybe I'll just order one out of Northern Tool. I'll have to see what the S&H is.

Thanks again!