ZTR choice..please help

/ ZTR choice..please help #1  

theplayer

Hustler Mini Z with 19HP Kawasaki, 44 inch deck ..$5,900

Ferris 1500 with 21HP Kawasaki, 48 inch deck $5,400

Ferris 1500 19HP Kawa, 44 inch deck $5,100

3+ acres residential use...Some bumpy areas so I thought the Ferris's suspension would be a great feature. Each dealer knocks the other manufacturer.

What would you do??? I need some input....

/ ZTR choice..please help #2  
I know nothing about the exact models you're dealing with, but the Kaw sounds good from everything I've seen (and I hope) as I just purchased on e with a 21hp.

There are a lot of reputable dealers out there, but sometimes you just have to be face to face and trust your instinct.

Personally (and after trying many ZTRs and recently really putting my solid frame to the test), I'd say trust good components first. Then, I think some sort of ground contact is nice (pivoting front or IS). If ride is the magic quantifier (and assuming the seat doesn't do it) I'd say IS/pivoting or true IS or is a good solution.

Given just the numbers you state, I like the 21 X 48. But so many variables! Let us know what you think!

Chad

/ ZTR choice..please help #3  
theplayer,

First, welcome to TBN.

If you haven't already done so, do a search on things like ZTR, Ferris and Hustler. There's been a lot of discussion in the past.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Each dealer knocks the other manufacturer.)</font>

I hate when they do this. Try to pick out anything objective they say about their machine but confirm anything negative they may say about others.

When I got mine, I had the dealer bring one to my house so I could try it in my conditions. That really helped and did decide the winner. See if you can do the same.

What made you narrow the options down to Hustler and Ferris?

Brian

/ ZTR choice..please help #4  
I got a hustler mini z 19 kawi w/52" deck for $5500. See if your dealer will come down at all.

Chris

/ ZTR choice..please help
It came down to Hustler and Ferris from what I've read on the different lawn sites, plus available dealers in my area. Scags were too high. I know Exmark and Gravely are good units as well, but no dealers around me.

I think the Fastrck is all I need for residential, but the IZT tranny rated at only 800 hours is scaring me off. It would probably last 10 years, but why not spend another $500 or so to get a true commercial unit in the Ferris...or $1,000 more to step into the mini Z that might last 20 years.

/ ZTR choice..please help #6  
I am not familiar with the units you are considering. However, I can give you my impression of ZTR's after a couple thousand hours of seat time.

The first ZTR I had was bought on a whim. I didn't know if I would like it after owning lawn tractors for years. It was a Byers Gold; sold at Sam's Club. (60" cut, 2 hydro motors, 22 hp for $3500) Actually, it worked great. The only issue I had with it was the design of where the deck was positioned. The front guide wheels were the front wheels of the unit. The deck was what I considered a mid mount.

After seeing our local school corporation using exclusively Grasshopper units, I asked them about the mowers and tried one. The particular Grasshopper I liked was the one where the ZTR itself is made completely separate from the mower deck. The front wheels of the Grasshopper are the drive wheels with two trailing rear wheels. The mower deck goes out front, and has it's own gauge wheels.

This design seems to lend itself to mowing much better. If you have any trees of obsticles around which you need to mow, you will realize this difference. I had both ZTR's for a while, so I was able to directly compare the designs. Besides the mowing advantages, the out front mower deck design rides ten times better than the mid mount mower style. Also, I found that I use almost exactly half the fuel mowing with a diesel as compared to mowing with the same hp gas engine. Good luck!

/ ZTR choice..please help #7  
Player, our Hustler dealer also deals Ferris, he doesn't bad mouth, either, he just points out their differences. I think he prefers the Hustler over all for true commerical use, at least I got that impression. I was looking for a commerical grade unit to do my residential lawn, about 1.5 acres. I have an area that has some slope and a bit bumpy. Thus, from what I read and demonstrated I knew a unit with a actuating/pivoting front end would help, research led me to the Ferris 1500 and Simplicity Citation 48" deck units due to pivoting front and rear I/S. Ferris makes Simplicity, the differences were first price, Ferris $5,490 + 6% sales tax and Simplicity Citation with tax included $5,565, delivered. Ferris has the 21 Kawasaki, shocks on the front but no rear anti scalp deck wheels. Simplicity has the 21 HP Briggs VanGuard Big Block, no shocks on front and full roller on rear of deck, otherwise same units.

I test drove them both several times on inclines, rough terrain and did prefer the ride to rigid frame models. I preferred the Simplicity's ride, the front shocks on the Ferris seemed to restrict the pivot to much and thus reduce ride quality, they are adjustable though, so that could help.

All in all I just today decided on the Simplicity, I really couldn't find any negative comments about the Briggs Vanguard Big Block and since I had great success out of my 1846 MTD with a Briggs, 18 years, I went for the better ride and lower price. Hope I made the right decision, time will only tell.

I will say my next choice wasn't the Ferris, it was the Country Clipper Charger, they have a special on the 48" cut, I got quoted $5,600, it's built like a tank, has a pivoting front and I liked the single joy stick and flip up deck option as well, ride isn't quite as good but nice unit over all.

Bottom line, every unit I looked at had something I liked or didn't, no one unit will have it all, ride them allot, try them on similar terrain as yours and buy within your budget and comfort zone. Good Luck!

/ ZTR choice..please help #9  
don't really know a lot about ZTR, but remember getting a flyer in the mail just this week from CUBCADET I THINK THEY HAD A ZTR FOR ABOUT $2500, like i say i don't know anything about them but u might want to check into it.

/ ZTR choice..please help #10  
I looked at one of those with a 17 HP Briggs engine and 42 inch deck, at our new TSC store last week. IMHO, the machine will barley qualify to be called a ZTR. It is extremely light duty. Would be fine for a small yard situation--Ken Sweet