Older lawn/garden tractor with bagger option

/ Older lawn/garden tractor with bagger option #1  

9_Mile

I'm looking for a rugged inexpensive tractor / mower for 2 to 3 acres of lawn, some of which is uneven. We want to bag the clippings for mulch & compost. I saw a late 70's Wheelhorse C-121 with 42" deck & 12 HP Kolhler engine that looks well cared for - and well built. The guy was asking $750. I want to spend under $1000 total w/ bagger if at all possible. I might go $2000 for a diesel. My questions:
- Is a bagger kit available for this tractor? (I didn't have much luck with the Toro parts finder).
- Is the Wheelhorse C-121 a good unit? Looks simple & solid
- What makes models and vintages have the bagger available original or retrofit in this price range? Deere? Case? Other?

I realize this is a tall order, but $5 - 8K for a new garden tractor is way too much. The new and newer $2,000 units look pretty flimsy. Ideas?

Thanks,

John

/ Older lawn/garden tractor with bagger option #2  
Wheelhore are a ruged and quality make, and it will last for ever if well cared for.
Am i correct in saying that this is a rear discharge unit?
If so you will have trouble finding a collector for it. They werent made in huge numbers.
When looking at wheelhorses the first part to go was usually the mower deck, so look on the underside if you can at the mandrels and general metalwork, and also check for holes ect on the top.

You may have trouble finding a quality mower for that money. people with that amount of land, and therfore with the typ of mower you are looking for, tend to leave the clippings on the lawn, therefore there will be few large second hand mowers with collectors for sale.

/ Older lawn/garden tractor with bagger option
Mith,
It has a 2 blade side discharge mower deck, that's newer than the tractor. I've put the question out of wheelhorse.org, and am going to ask a nearby dealer tomorrow. Yes, I may have have to spend more money...

/ Older lawn/garden tractor with bagger option #4  
9_Mile
There are several decks that fit c series wheelhorses. If you have a 2 blade deck it is a small one. The 42 and 48 inch decks are 3 blade. It must be the 37 of 38 inch deck. You need a side discharge deck for a bagger.

My dad has a 1979 C-111 (repowered 2 years ago)
I have a 1991 312 (12 hp kohler magnum)

Rugged units dad's drive belt went 25 years.

We both have 42" rear discharge decks Mine has the super recycler kit Mulching kit. So no bagger experience.

Stop by your Wheelhorse dealer they should be able to answer all of your questions, if the want to sell you a bagger that is.