ZT Choice

/ ZT Choice #1  

wriken

Tractor
L3000DT
I've narrowed my choice of ZT mowers to either the ZD21 or the Exmark Lazer Z 27 HP/liquid cooled. Price is close between these two. Any advice?

/ ZT Choice #2  
Not sure what the price difference is, but the Kubota engine will SURELY outlast a gas gas engine. The kubota has the lift feature. What are some other feature differences? What are you price differences?

/ ZT Choice
The prices out the door, tax included on both are, ZD=$10070.00, Exmark=$9750.94. Kubota's got pretty good interest rate going on right now also, Thanks

/ ZT Choice #4  
If I were in that situation, I would get the Kubota dealer to come down on the price, then it would be a no-brainer. There are two guys here who bought ZDs for $8800, and I have a quote of $8750. At that point, even if you dont compare brand names, it's at least diesel vs gas. The exmark units are nice, however I am partial to kubota, ...and I have sat on neither. I hope to sit on an exmark today, and I have my name & number at about 10 kubota dealers. I told them if they get one in to call me. These things are hard to keep in stock out here, and they are sold before they come in. Do you have this same problem?

Ben

/ ZT Choice #5  
You didn't mention any feature differences. Since I too am curious, I went to exmark's site to compare the two on paper. Looks like the two are within an inch or two of being the same length & width. There is also only 1 lb difference in weight.
The exmark has 13" x 6.5" front casters. The kubota has 15" x 6".

Looks like different parking brake mechanisms. The kubota has an "internal expanding shoe." I believe this is internal to the drive unit. The exmark has an external "drum & band" type. Which is better, I guess is preference.

The exmark has a 10mph forward speed, 6.3mph reverse. The kubota has 9.4mph forward, 5.2mph rev.

The exmark has an electromagnetic PTO clutch, the Kubota has a wet disc hydraulic type. I would say the Kubota is superior here.

And then there are the engines. I'll bet the 27hp, liquid cooled kaw is one hell of an engine, but I dont think you'll get the same life out of it as would the Kubota Diesel.

These are just by reading the spec sheets. I am DYING to sit my rump on the ZD21 to actually get a feel for it. Let me know if I was wrong anywhere, or if you see a major difference that I didn't.

-Ben

/ ZT Choice
The dealer that I do business with, has 2 ZD21's in stock, I think one is going to be sold soon, also I'm probably going with the Kubota as I have a L300DT/loader. I'm very pleased with the tractor and probably will be with the ZD. The dealer probably won't budge on the price, but I'll ask. Also the Exmark was priced down already from a little over $10,000.00 to $9199.00 without tax. The ZD was over 10 grand, I got him down to $9500.00 no tax, 10070.00 with. FYI, He told me he really does'nt order any ZD18's because the price differance between the 18 and 21 is not much. Thanks

/ ZT Choice #7  
Since you've had the opportunity too see one, tell me, what do you think of the overall build? Id there any plastic?? (hood, etc) Do you think the lifespan would be as long as a tractor? (if used at home) What are the major differences you see between the two units?

Thanks

/ ZT Choice
There is no plastic in the ZD, there is on the Exmark but its the radiator sheild, Both units look strongly built. I think with the increase price of the ZD there are options, or I should say things more pleasing to the operator which I would consider OK. But that is why I narrowed it to these 2 machines, and I think highly of the ZD's Motor, will last longer and be better on fuel consumption. As far as lasting as long as a tractor, I don't know-Maybe, but the tractor is more versital etc, mowing, rototilling, brushogging. By looking at them the ZD's look like there built to last. One ? I would like to know if anybody has actually used or saw the results of a ZD's cut, Ive seen Exmarks and there's are good. Also I forgot to mention above the fuel tank on the Ex is plastic, did'nt check the Zd's but think that is industry standard

/ ZT Choice #9  
Plastic tanks are standard. Plastic body parts I have a problem with. There are a couple of guys here that have ZDs. Look @ my post "kubota zd21" in this forum. Madhouse has nothing but praises for his ZD21. There is another guy here who I believe has a ZD21 and a BX. I am anxious to chat with him.

What more 'pleasing operator things' does the Kub have that the other doesnt?

/ ZT Choice #10  
i demo'd the exmark and take nothin' away-it's heck of a machine. but for one, the hubs were permanent sealed-can't grease them. the casters were smaller (front), the hydraulic lift deck and the cutting height adjustment is very nice on the zd21, and the front axle that jacks up for servicing on the kub is remarkable! some little jap stayed up a lot of nights to engineer that one! as far as cut, there ain't a dime's worth of difference that i could tell, but the fuel consumption/diesel made my choice for me. the price was close, and for $8800 i would've neen a fool to pass it by. all steel frame, hood, sides, only plastic is the cover on front that hides the 'jack-up' axle mechanism