Extended warranty on Z-force, worth it or not?

/ Extended warranty on Z-force, worth it or not? #1  

MesquiteMan

Tractor
ScatTrak 1750D
I mentioned on another thread that I just ordered a Cub Cadet Zforce 44 from my local Lowes. They offered an extended warranty that I did not get at this time but can add anytime within 30 days of delivery. I normally am not an extended warranty type of guy but this one sounds pretty good.

It will cost $295 for a 4 year warranty. It is complete, no deductible in home warrany. It covers items such as messed up spindles, even if I hit something I should not. If they fail to fix my mower within 2 weeks, they will pay to have my yard mowed. They also have a lemon provision where if something breaks 3 times they give me a new machine.

In your opinion, is this worth the money or just a gimmick like most E/W?

/ Extended warranty on Z-force, worth it or not? #2  
Well let me be the first to explain that if you hit something you are not suppose to then the warranty will not cover it!

The warranty is not through Cub but through NEW, they do extended warranty coverages for many brands. If you unit breaks NEW will contact Cub who will contact the local dealer. It is a great investment, as the warranty is basically extended two years...but it doesn't cover "anything and everything." It only covers what Cub would cover during the original two years.

/ Extended warranty on Z-force, worth it or not? #3  
Oh, and the two week thing...well I can promise that two weeks is from the time they call the local dealer, not the time you drop it off.

/ Extended warranty on Z-force, worth it or not? #4  
MesquiteMan
Usually I don't like these warrantys. But 4 years for 300$. If you had to have it picked up for 1 repair you got your $ back. I would check the terms carefully.

Are you going to be mowing a large area??

One last thing to consider is that Lowes is going to be sending a contractor to do the work. He may be real good or not so.good.

/ Extended warranty on Z-force, worth it or not? #5  
I think you said 2 acres. That should put a few hours on the machine.

I too hate paying for warrantees, but it doesn't sound bad. I'll second Brian, and say read the fine print a few times.

If the engine is your only concern, some oil manufactures offer an extended warrenty just for using their product. Don't know how reliable they are though.

Also, I found that Sears does similar work with independant contractos. Had some problems with a radial arm saw still under warrantee: scheduling the appointment through Sears was a real pain, and the guy wasn't exactly a guru for my saw, but he got it figured out and I was happy we didn't have to bring it in.

Chad

/ Extended warranty on Z-force, worth it or not? #6  
When somebody tries to sell me an extra warranty I always ask them... "Am I going to need it?" There is a good chance you will not need it... but for the $ and 4 years that doesn't sound too bad.

/ Extended warranty on Z-force, worth it or not? #7  
I can't really give you advice on this, just my experiences.

Everything that I have purchased extended warranties on have not broken down in the extended warranty period. Sort of a Murphys law kind of thing I guess......
Of course the jury is still out on the extended warranty on my elcheapo nail gun from harbour freight /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

/ Extended warranty on Z-force, worth it or not? #8  
I don't think you'll find a consumer advocate anywhere who has anything good to say about extended warrantees.

There's a reason for that.

Read the fine print, and believe ONLY what is written, NOTHING that is 'explained'.

Then decide.

/ Extended warranty on Z-force, worth it or not? #9  
I'm not a extended warranty type of guy either and have never bought one, but....I purchased a Huskie riding mower from TSC and picked up the same warranty. Everything covered short of abuse. When I saw the terms and cost, I couldn't help but think about who was going to be operating it............My wife and son /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So I bought it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif BTW, the hour meter doesn't work........ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif