Flat tire on ZTR; can I fill them?

/ Flat tire on ZTR; can I fill them? #1  

MarkLeininger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2710
I have a Toro 60" ZTR and got a flat on the rear tire. I tried to fix it by putting in a plug, but it wouldn't seal. I was surprised how thin the tire was when I plugged it. Has anyone ever filled the rear tires on a ZTR? Does it ride OK? I think I got the flat while doing the fenceline and trees in my pasture. It's pretty rough out there and there is some stubble sticking up from brush I've pushed over with the tractor. That's probably what punctured the tire.

/ Flat tire on ZTR; can I fill them? #2  
I don't know about a ZTR, but when one of my brothers had the smallest little Cub Cadet riding mower, he had the little front tires foam filled after he rolled them off the rims a couple of times on tight turns. So I don't know why you couldn't have your ZTR tires foam filled.

/ Flat tire on ZTR; can I fill them? #3  
Have you considered using tire sealant in them ? Slime or some of the better stuff that Gemplers sells, it is supposed to seal a 1/4 inch or larger hole.
Foaming should be ok as well but would ride a bit rougher.
Ben

/ Flat tire on ZTR; can I fill them?
I used some brand of foam sealer several years ago and it didn't work very well. Maybe I should try it again. One problem I had with it was that it came out in the tire valve when I checked the air pressure, which ruined the tire guage.

/ Flat tire on ZTR; can I fill them? #5  
I was advised, by several dealers and professionals, not to put anything in the rear tires. The front tires are okay to do, but you don't need the extra weight or drag on the hydro motors for the rear. It will cause more strain and suck up your HP.
I put slime in my fronts only.

/ Flat tire on ZTR; can I fill them? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ruined the tire guage. )</font>

When I have something other than air in a tire and want to check the pressure, I always do it with the valve stem at the top (12 o'clock position), then I give it one short burst of air first to clear the stem before putting the gauge on it. A quick burst of air won't raise the pressure much, but even it does go a little above normal, it's easy to let a little out then.