ZTR - need help deciding

/ ZTR - need help deciding #1  

BrianB

I mow over 5 acres (about 3.5 pretty open and maybe 2 pretty with a lot of trees). I've been using a 1972 Allis Chalmers 314-H garden tractor which has a 48" deck. This has been an awesome mower, but it just takes too long (5-6 hrs) and has had some serious downtime the last couple of years (right now the steering gearbox went out).

I have decided to get a ZTR to mow with and can't make up my mind. I've looked at several brands.

I have a new Dixie Chopper dealer close by and he dropped a XG2703 (60" with 27 HP Generac) off the other day to try out. I mowed the entire place in about 2.5 hours and it was awesome. It really sold me on the whole ZTR idea. He wants $7200 which is as low as I've seen in my area.

I'm also seriously considering a Lesco 60" with 25 HP Kaw. This is identical to the Cub Cadet M60 Tank. It is priced very nicely at $5999.

Finally, I'm considering a Grasshopper 223 with 60" deck, rollbar and 23HP Kohler. This is actually from out of state, but the price is $6,700 and GH is offering 1.9% financing.

I'm not necessarily looking to add any new models to the mix although I know there are many other good ones (even better) out there.

Any suggestions or recommendations among these 3? Will I notice the difference between the 27HP Generac (D.C) vs 25HP Kaw (Lesco) and the 23HP Kohler (Grasshopper)? I would appreciate any input from folks who own or have experience with any of these.

Thanks

/ ZTR - need help deciding #2  
These are all good machines and any one of them should serve you well. Is there any way to get the Lesco out for a demo on your own property? That would help you decide which one works better in your environment.

Personally I wouldn't go below 25 hp on a 60" deck. How about service? Which dealer will service you mower better when/if it's ever needed? Does Lesco service their own mowers? I know some Lesco dealers do not.

/ ZTR - need help deciding #3  
I've been looking at them also, I've decided to go with a Kubota only because I have two tractors that are Kubota's and they have really been good. If I was getting something else it would probably be the Grasshopper altho like the Kubota it is pretty expensive. When you start comparing them it's like an old friend use to say, it only cost twenty percent more to go first class.;)

/ ZTR - need help deciding
Thanks for the reply. The Lesco dealer is 60 miles away, so it's a little more difficult coordinating the demo, but he's going to try to get it down to me later this week. Would I be disappointed with 52" instead of 60". I used the 60" Dixie and it seemed to be a good size, but I don't know if I'll notice much difference with a 52".

/ ZTR - need help deciding #5  
Do you have any Cub dealers in your area? If so then they have 0% for 36months on the Tanks. We sell both Tanks and GrassHoppers and both are excellent machines. Thats a good price on the GH by the way. Good luck and keep us posted!

/ ZTR - need help deciding #6  
There are several cub dealers around and I think I would love the Tank. It's just a little hard to justify $1000-$1300 more than the exact same machine from Lesco. The warranty might be a little better on the cub though. I need to do the math on the zero percent too since I was thinking of adding this to my equity line of credit which certainly isn't 0%. I haven't tried the GH out yet, but I'm told they are awesome machines. In your opinion which do you prefer (GH or Tank)? Do you think the 23HP is a little undersized for a 60" deck? The 25 HP is $700 more from this dealer which seems a lot for only 2 more HP. Will it make that much difference?
Thanks

/ ZTR - need help deciding #7  
I don't think a 2 HP difference is significant with a 60" deck. I've used less HP for that size deck with no problem.
The Grasshopper is reputed to be an excellent machine. I've read quite a few posts praising them.
The Dixie Chopper is a well made, tough machine, but I can't see the money.
I don't particularly like MTD, the maker of Cub Cadet, but others don't have a problem with them.
I'm picking up a Hustler 42" ZTR (residential grade) tomorrow for around $3200. But of your choices, I'd take the GH.
John

/ ZTR - need help deciding #8  
Which do I recommend, this is always a tough question for me...

We have been a long time GH dealer, like over 15 years and I have praised GH up and down until I am blue in the face for years...guess you could say we are an "old line" dealer.

I do however, believe that the market has a way of "working itself" out. By that I mean this....

four years ago we became a Ferris dealer well, I couldn't sell a Ferris next to a GH, people just understood the quality and performance difference between the two and the GH was the obvious choise. And please dont take that to mean that Ferris is a bad product, as I am not familiar with new Farris models and what-have-you, that was just the case in my territory. Now that I have the Tanks, I sell 6 Tanks to every one GH.

Now one reason is because Cub has that excellent financing, and GH's are usually a few hundred more than Cub. Now GH has competative financing they will hopefully be able to hang with Cub in my area. What I have experienced a lot latetly is that Commercial guys want the GH, where as residential users gravitate towards the Cubs.

They are both great units...but in my honest opinion if I was ever going to own a ZTR I would want a front mount...and GH makes the best front mounts on the market bar-none. Front mounts ride better and can cut under objects...plus you have better visibility of the deck and what it is cutting. Mid-mounts are all the rage though...either one willl work amazingly well for your needs.

/ ZTR - need help deciding #9  
I got a Swisher ZTR 50 " cut last year for 3000. I mow 8 acres and it works great. I also have a Swisher pull behind trail mower I have had for 5 years, and it works great. Check out their website for information, and a dealer near you.

/ ZTR - need help deciding #10  
Brian, You ask so I'll tell what I know (that should be breif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

I searched for 6mos. for the right ZTR for my 5acres looked at Gravely ,Scag, Hustler ,E-mark ,Toro, Bobcat and finally Lesco.

Gravely was first one looked at 260Z 60" fairly large as size goes length and width 27hp kohler hydraulic deck lift(over kill) very large chute sheild noticed at service bay all owners had taken them off. priced @ $6995 in my area

Scag, excellent machine with oil coolers kohler powered would last very long time for residential use Very heavy duty but IMO exspensive over $8k

Hustler , This is a very good mower with active oil coolers great warranty and styling for the consument Hotrodder(rear wing on the Super Z 60") 27hp kohler and good pumps like the rest, weight adjustable seat . priced @ $7900. my area

E-mark , Lots of them in my area , I personally have no knowledge of them supposed to be good (exspensive),Didn't really appeal to me $$$

Toro, Looking into them was just a breif moment as the design for maintenance wasn't what I would call user friendly and I think pumps were not top of the line,also looked a little cheesy IMO Priced at over $7k if I remember correctly

Bobcat, Looked pretty good to me but the dealer confided to me that they were a little maintenance hungry for repairs /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and not cheap @ around $8k so forgot that one quickly , But to be fair I really didn't look it over at all myself

Lesco, Which I never knew exsisted until I was looking for some fertilizer.... Had a 60" 25hp kawasaki seemed a bit smaller(chute sheild) for manuverability issues good pumps, comfort seat w/recline easy belt sheild removal grease fitting for all spindle's and moving parts, welded deck which doesn't hang from chains but floating lever's and a pivoting front axle priced $1k less than the cheapest other competitor... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifalso lesco has a spring sale which knocks another $300 of the list price of the 60" units and $200 of the 54" on down

Also when looking at kohler 27hp& kawasaki 25hp remember 2hp isn't much but its torque that keeps you moving through the thick stuff and here are the spec's for both engine's 27hp kohler has 42.7 ft lbs @ 3k rpm and the kawasaki has 41 ft lbs @ 2400 rpm .

Wheewee, well hope this is food for thought! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PS: I bought the Lesco /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and it mows great, this past week we had a lot of rain and the grass got tall. If I had to cut it with my tractor and rear finish mower I would have had to rake it because of it balling up a looking like crap! But the Lesco went through it like butter a threw it out the chute with no clumps balling or winrowing and best of all NO RAKING!
And the grass although not wet had a lot of moisture in it making it pretty heavy.
I feel for a homeowner's unit or even commercial use it was a bargain ,money well spent and I hate to spend my money...