ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark

/ ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark #1  

sandman98

i'm in the market for a ztr for residential use. i have about 1.5 acres to mow in southeast pennsylvania (minus the house and driveway footprint). given the number of flower beds, landscaping, etc. i have to mow around, i thought a ztr would be a wise investment. i don't mind paying more upfront, if it means i will own a reliable machine for the rest of my life. so, to that end, i have narrowed my choices to the following three:

1. ferris is1500z 44" with 19hp kawasaki ($4995), from a small dealer who seems very interested in my business.

2. exmark laser Z ct 44" with 18hp briggs vanguard ($4999), from a larger dealer who basically wouldn't give me the time of day (?being a residential customer?)

3. hustler fastrak 44" with 18hp honda ($4475), again from a small dealer who spent 45 minutes with me to answer questions.

despite exmark's reputation for producing reliable equipment, i was very turned off by dealer #2. i really like the price of the hustler fastrak as well as the 4 year residential warranty, but for an extra $500 the ferris offers a suspension as well as separate hydrogear pumps/motors, which may be better suited for towing an aerator, dethatcher, spreader, etc.

i think i'm starting to suffer from information overload at this point. any thoughts on the above choices, as well as buying from a dealer who doesn't appear to want or need my business?

/ ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark #2  
I was in the same boat....3 acres residential..narrowed down to Fastrak or Ferris...I went with the Ferris 1500 21 hp 48 deck. The deciding factors were Ferris's suspension and the tranny.

The $4,995 price is a good one..the lowest I could get on the 44 deck Ferris was $5,150.

/ ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark #3  
I'm certainly no ZTR expert, although I spent a year researching and trying them out before buying one a couple of weeks ago. I'm fortunate, where I live we have about every manufactor represented. I did try the 3 you mention, I was looking to go to a 52 inch deck but decided there were a few places I couldn't get into with it, which meant more weed eating. Of the 3 you mention, I liked the Ferris 1500 the best, the ride was far superior, it's extremely well built and the price was decent for the 48" cut compared to other similar models, I was quoted $5,495 plus tax, the 52" went up to $6,700.

Anyway I actually went with the Simplicity Citation, Ferris builds the Simplicity line, so the Citation is a twin to the 1500, they have some different features and in a side by side comparison, the Simplicity ride was actually better, I believe it was due to the small shocks Ferris uses on it's actuating/pivoting front end, they restricted the pivot creating a rougher ride to the Simplicity, at least that was my impression. Simplicity also allows for multiple adjustments to the rear shocks/IFS system, the Ferris allows for the rear shocks to be adjusted but Simplicity went one step further and allows for the shock mount to also be adjusted to a 90 degree position for better traction. The Simplicity uses a 21HP Vanguard Big Block, my research turned up only good things about this engine, even on this site, I also liked the fact the deck had a rear roller, the Ferris didn't and the Simplicity had headlights, which I've already had to use.

I purchased the Simplicity 48" cut for $5,250. All in all there was something I liked about each unit, try them all out, even at home if they'll allow, then decide what is best for you.

/ ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark #4  
The Ferris 1500 rear shocks can also be moved...2 positions, depending on weight of operator or baggage system.

Didn't compare the ride of Simplicity vs Ferris, but I greatly favor the Kawasaki engine. I'm sure both are solid machines.

/ ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark #5  
I just had to jump in on this one...... I work for a large landscape maintenance company. The ZTR commercial market mower choices for a homeowner come down to personal preferences and dealer interaction. In an average week a commercially operated ZTR can log more hours (40-50) than an average homeowner logs in a full season (1-2 hours per week for 26 weeks).

Even a mower rated fair from a commercial standpoint will last many many years from a homeowner's standpoint.

It's no different than a comparison between picking a vehicle to pull your travel trailer - Do I buy a Peterbuilt or can I buy a 1/2 ton Chevy? Both can pull a travel trailer. Do you need to go 1 million miles trouble free or will 100K miles be enough?

/ ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark #6  
The problem is see is that the "homeowner" equipment is generally poorly built and cheap. Can you point us in the direction of non-commercial machine that worth the money? I've looked a few and not pleased with what I've found. Low level commercial stuff....I like /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark #7  
I disagree...I'm a homeowner that mows about 4 acres...I will probably put close to 100 hours a year on my new ZTR.. Why buy a model with a tranny only rated for 800 hours(like the Hustler Fastrak).and have it last only 8 years...sorry, for a few more bucks it makes sense to buy a true commercial mower.

Now for those that mow an acre or less..it might be overkill

/ ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark #8  
100 hours per year with a 4 acre plot? You don't mention in your bio where you live. That is a lot of hours. Your situation is not typical but you will certainly get to know your ZTR very well!

Good luck.

/ ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark #9  
I personally own a first generation (1997) cub cadet 52" commercial walk behind. I have over 300 hours in almost 8 years of trouble free service. Ask a commercial guy about this unit and he says it is junk. I cut 1 hour per week on my 1.3 acres and have cut neighbors occassionally. When I was shopping for this I found the cub to be the lowest price hydro around. I hear the Tank and the new commercial walk behinds are selling well.

The company I work for uses Exmark exclusively. We bought over $80,000 in Laser Z's alone for expansion and replacements. We put 1500 hours on them before they go to auction - don't buy a used one, they are all used up!

My only advice is not to buy a unit from Lowes or Tractor Supply. They are the low end units and your service will be poor. Buy at year end from a service dealer and build a relationship. They can size the mower for your needs and if he knows you'll come in for service he won't steer you wrong.... if he's worth anything.

/ ferris vs. hustler vs. exmark #10  
After a lot of research, I bought an Exmark Lazer Z last year, and it's been flawless. I also think buying better is worth the extra dough. I paid $5600 for a 52" with the 19 hp Kawasaki twin. One thing I liked about the Exmark was the deck stands out about 6" on the left allowing you to get in close to obstacles without dragging the rear tire on them. The controls also seemed smoother and easier to use than some of the others I looked at. My dealer was easy to work with and spent a lot of time answering and asking questions to help me find the right mower................good luck on your purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it whichever one you get.....