ZTR - Front Mount or Mid Mount?

/ ZTR - Front Mount or Mid Mount? #1  

TheChamp

Looking to purchase a ZTR mower for our 1.25 acres, sloped riverbank, tree beds, walkways, tree islands, etc. etc. I'm considering all ZTR's, and have looked at Ferris, eXmark, Kubota, John Deere, Toro, and Grasshopper so far. Looking at Scag this weekend.

The first big decision is whether to go with a Front Mount (Grasshopper, Walker, John Deere) or a Mid Mount (Grasshopper, John Deere, all the rest).

What are the opinions on FM vs MM? I'm leaning towards a Front Mount, but I'm still undecided. Does a Front Mount give you better "in close and personal" mowing around planting beds, etc.?

Thanks for the input!

Brent.

Attachments

• 644536-mowing1.JPG
    644536-mowing1.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 360
   / ZTR - Front Mount or Mid Mount? #2  
In another thread you can find where I had 5 different ZTR's at my house trying them before I bought. I then bought the Ferris because it didn't beat the snot out of me. I then found that I'd made a terrible mistake to only test the mowers out in an open area of my property. Due to me having a lot of trees to mow around, several tight corners between buildings and fences, and especially around my lake, I found out the expensive way that a mid mount just wouldn't work for me.

I have a 5 year old diesel powered Grasshopper that I kept and it has been great. I just wanted so save money and buy a mid mount for my 2nd ZTR. After all, that is what I see mostly out mowing. They are less expensive. The bottom line for me, after putting the Ferris in my lake 3 times and also finding that it left quite a bit more of area to trim, I traded it off after 2 days for another front mount Grasshopper.

You flat will not beat the ride of a front mount, even with suspension. You will not have the ability to get close to many areas such as inside corners and around lakes. You will not have the same stability on fairly steep grades. These are facts that I learned the hard, and expensive, way with a mid mount. If most of your area is open and flat, heck yes, save some money and go with a mid mount. Oh yeah, that is also if your lawn is pretty smooth. For the most part you have to be pretty tough if you want to mow fast with a mid mount. Also, on the exact same hills, my Grasshoppers are like mountain goats compared to a mid mount. I can stop, turn circles, and continue with my front mount where I could barely go with the mid mounts I tried (JD 777, Exmark, Ferris, Skag, and Hustler).

The downside; the front mounts will cost you more money. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Good luck!

/ ZTR - Front Mount or Mid Mount? #3  
Dargo,

How did you get the dealers to allow you to "test drive" all those machines? I guess the dealers are a bit more receptive to that idea with the more expensive ones. I have not had any luck trying to test any here in the 4-5K range. Dealers say they don't have any extras hanging around for people to just try out, which I understand.

/ ZTR - Front Mount or Mid Mount? #5  
I've never used a front mount, but the one grasshopper front mount I looked at was close to twice the price of the mid mount Scag ZTR that I bought, so, I'd guess the front mount does better.

As for trimming close to things my mid mount ZTR does fine. I can't imagine a front mount doing better, since the only weedeating I have to do after mowing is around the wifes flower beds which are lined with rocks.

I have a couple of places where I had to put my 4wd L3010 in 4wd to go up the hill pulling a 72" Rear Finish Mower. The ZTR can do turns on circles on the same slope with no problem. The area in question was often soggy, making it harder for the tractor, but the lighter ZTR has no problem with it.

Like Dargo said, going full speed on a less that perfect lawn can be rather rough on you. Part of my yard is a former tomato field and it's rough. I do not mow at full speed across it, but even at the slower speed the ZTR is still faster than any other way I've mowed my lawn.

Go out and sit in as many seats as you can, and put em through their paces. You'll find the one that fits you best and get to know the dealers in the process.

Good Luck,
Moon of Ohio

/ ZTR - Front Mount or Mid Mount? #6  
Jim,
Unfortunately I began my search for a 2nd ZTR with every intention of staying in the 3 to 4k range. What really hurt me was having had a top end diesel powered commercial unit for the last 5 years. Although I don't mow commercially, I do own nearly 200 acres total. That practically puts me into the commercial need category even though I won't mow but a small portion of that area. The less expensive units just seemed, well, less expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I was given the opportunity to test drive everything at my own home that I wanted. One place delivered 3 units for me to try (now I feel really bad that I didn't buy from them /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif - but what they had just didn't suit me). For my personal needs, the mid mount just wouldn't work. The 3 times in the lake was the clincher. With a front mount I probably save over an hour of trim time over what I personally would have by using a mid mount.

Your area and personal needs may vary greatly from mine. There are some very fine mid mount mowers out there that will fit a lot of people's needs, and are surprisingly well built, in your target price range. When I bought my first Grasshopper 5 years ago, I was sorely disappointed with the 3 to 4k range mowers. You get much more for your money now. Good luck!