What size lawn tractor for cutting up to 4 acres

/ What size lawn tractor for cutting up to 4 acres #1  

gimmejava

Hi all,
My wife and I just purchased a new home which sits on 4 acres. I'm researching what size of tractor I will need to tackle the grass cutting. (Horsepower, Preferred brand, etc.)
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Randall

/ What size lawn tractor for cutting up to 4 acres #2  
If its just mowing you might consider one of those ZTR machines (zero turn radius), as they mow pretty fast from what I hear (I've never used one). I you want a tractor a Kubota BX2200 would seem to be a good size. Also a JD4100 or Kubota B7100 or B2410.

Alan L., TX

/ What size lawn tractor for cutting up to 4 acres #3  
Randall, As Allen mentioned, a lot depends on what else you have in mind besides mowing. Also, the terrain and obstacles you have on your property as well as your pocketbook will influence your decision. I mowed my 5 acres (with some slopes, ditches and trees) for 6 years with a Toro 520H with 60in deck. It did the job but would bog down and get stuck at times. This spring I upgraded to a Kubota BX2200 with 60in deck. What a difference! It is never at a loss for power mowing and with the 4WD, I don't get stuck. I also use it to pull a 5X8 trailer, to haul mulch, manure (from the horse next door) or whatever around the property. Checkout new and used and get what best fits your needs. For me, the BX is the answer.

Dave

/ What size lawn tractor for cutting up to 4 acres
I'll be using the tractor primarily for grass cutting and some gardening. The terrain is overall pretty flat. I've read quite a few postive comments about the Kubota 2200, so I will do some research on it, in addition to any other mowers that this board recommends.

Thanks again,
Randall

/ What size lawn tractor for cutting up to 4 acres
Dave,
just out of curiousity, where did you purchase your Kubota? We live in North alabama as well and will be moving just outside of Athens.

Thanks,
Randall

/ What size lawn tractor for cutting up to 4 acres #6  
Randall, I live just east of Athens in East Limestone. I bought my BX at Posey's Equipment in Athens.

Dave

/ What size lawn tractor for cutting up to 4 acres #7  
Howdy,neighbor...well sort of,if you disscount the 3hr drive between us(or is it tour),I live just above Springville on da mountain. I moved onto 8.5 acres in FEb.I realy looked hard at the bx2200.I realy liked the way it felt.Sturdy,well balanced etc.Man can it turn...But I decided to go with a NHTC21D for only a bit more $ since unlike you my terrain is kinda rough.Same pwr range.I think the best advice I got from this board was.Go talk to the dealers,AKS BOO KOO QUESTIONS,TEST DRIVEs......I travel over a fair part of the state so I took advantage of it...I found several willing to answer ?'s...though I didn't get to stop out your way .I was usually to rushed when out there...after I narrowed down my choices,based on Budget,needs,WANTS!!!,I took the wife to a couple of dealers and let her test drive as well,sence I knew she would end up using it often.Which she has.She's the type that if the sun is out so is she...Love yard work and riding (her 125) dirt bike and our 4wheeler...So as I say it wasn't long before i was having to help her learn the does and don'ts of the tc21.GOOD LUCK...enjoy,all test driving can be half the fun....

Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D

/ What size lawn tractor for cutting up to 4 acres #8  
I needed a mower to mow 2 acres every week and 4 additional acres of pasture 1-2 times per month Spring through Fall. I debated between a compact tractor and a garden tractor and ended up with a JD 425 with a 60 inch mower because it was a good deal. I have been very happy with my decision. It has lots of power, good traction and takes about 3 hours to mow the 6 acres. I only have regrets when I need to dig holes, dig out tree stumps, pick up heavy rocks, etc. Then I have to get my friend down the road with his compact tractor (and numerous attachments) to help. Otherwise, I'm happy I bought the JD 425. Hope this helps.