How do you protect your gardens?

/ How do you protect your gardens? #1  

nomad

Platinum Member
Tractor
MH744
How do you protect your gardens, fruits, crops, etc against unwanted animals such as birds, deers, etc? I myself use a sound scarer machine operating with lpg to protect my cherry trees against the birds. See pix. I also use an ultrasonic electronic device, but it is less effective than this mechanical old machine as it is also scaring all other animals while ultrasonic devices are effective for certain animals only and at certain distances.

Attachments

• 645883-birdscarer.jpg
    645883-birdscarer.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 458
   / How do you protect your gardens? #4  
We've found that the propane cannons (as you pictured in the attachment) are effective for a relatively short time. Pretty soon the animals ignore them.
I've resorted to using bird netting to protect tomatoes, figs, etc. and while it works it's a lot of trouble.
Over the winter the deer started munching on some of our young trees, and reduced several loquat to stumps. I did some reading, and there were several products available that used a rotten egg base that deter deer from feeding. I tried some and it seemed to work but is expensive. Since then I learned that some of the local soy bean farmers have been mixing their own spray using egg whites to deter deer browing in their fields.

/ How do you protect your gardens?
All animals are used to any kind of noise after a certain time (some days, weeks or months.) The solution is to use an electronic scare cannon which shots randomly. I also have such a cannon, but since it requires a battery I don't like it. Instead, I change shot intervals on this mechanical model from time to time so that they will not be used to the cannon as it will shot at different periods. Well, at least, except "veteran" birds who deserve to eat some cherry anyway, most of birds will fly away when the cannon shots.

/ How do you protect your gardens? #6  
<font color="blue"> </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Ruger 10/22 w/scope )</font> </font>

Same metod ... different tool. I use a 20 gauge. Strange, they never seem to get used to that random noise. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How do you protect your gardens? #7  
electric fence with 6 strands, the bottom one about 6 inches above the ground. works great, but you have to abandon the garden for a few weeks if a skunk gets into it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Ben

/ How do you protect your gardens? #8  
spread fire ashes around the perimeter of your garden. For some reason it keeps the deer out real good

/ How do you protect your gardens? #9  
I just planted 4 black cherry trees around my yard. They are small, 24" trees. I bought them on eBay believe it or not and I have them surrounded by tomatoe cages. Then, I wrapped black screen around the cage so that the sun doesn't cook them. I'll probably remove the screen, as they have been in for about 6 weeks. They appear to be doing very well. In the fall, I will have them in a tree tube or whatever you call them. As the local hare and deer will devour these almond tasting little suckers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How do you protect your gardens? #10  
The bird netting is easy and effective, and the local farm supply store sells deer repellant, that can be sprayed around the perimeter.