"No Name" gas engines

/ "No Name" gas engines #1  

Kaliburz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 60, 3020, 2030, 2240, 2640, Farmall A
\"No Name\" gas engines

Well, not sure if this has been hashed out (odds are it has). The "truck load sale" (Homier) rolled into town this weekend and I brought home a 6.5HP horizontal shaft engine for under $200.00...I needed to repower an OLD, OLD tiller (belt drive to a worm gear).

Any how, looking at the engine and chatting w/ a small gas engine mechanic friend, he guessed (as he did not see the engine), it's prob. a Honda "clone" from China. And it was made in China, says right on the box. Buddy suggested running it w/ some oil and then changing it. Some "copies" were not cast well and tend to float metal in the oil he stated. So I ran it for 40 min w/out load then about 40 tilling and changed the oil. Looked a little "interesting". /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Any how, I was just wondering if anyone out there has used these "no brand"/"no name" engines and your experiance.....

(or should I ponied up the extra $200 and bought a "real" engine....) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks!

/ "No Name" gas engines #2  
   / "No Name" gas engines
Re: \"No Name\" gas engines

I put "Royal Purple" 10W-30 synthetic (recommened that weight and I figured synthetic was even better). Oil was nice and purple and when it came out, I sware i saw some sparlking stuff in it-metal I guessed. I didn't do the "feel" test, as it was hot....didn't wait for it to cool. Maybe those Chinese makers were cheap, just slapped it together and didn't even run it before boxing it up.....

I've ran it since the oil change, more tilling and checked the oil. I can't see or "feel" anything. Buddy does small gas engines (factory trained generator man), worked as a Deere mechanic for some time, mechanic for city parks dept and other jobs. From the sounds of it, as he says, this is a Honda clone.... mentioned something about Honda making a factory in China since they couldn't import complete motors(????) and deal fell through (but factory was finished and tooled already).....

I recall seeing that 5.0HP Honda ad a while back. Free shipping for oders over $200.00. This no name 6.5HP only cost $174 and some change out the door. I figured it wouldn't hurt.....guess I'll see in a few years if it was wise or if I waisted my money.
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Oh, it has a one year warranty..guess I'll work the "piss" out of it and see if it holds up. (Oh, that link to the Honda engine....LOL....a local equipment dealer is selling them for like $350. I wonder if he got them from Northern ....) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ "No Name" gas engines #4  

Don't complain too much about the metal, New tractors seem to have a bit of metal in the hydro system and is found at first hydro oil change.

/ "No Name" gas engines #5  

I don't think you are crazy.

Heck how many hours do you put on the tiller per year?

Who knows that chinese motor may outlast the tiller.

It may be worth it just for the education.

this may be a good alternative to other bottom end motors on equipment that is not run a real lot.

Keep us posted (Interesting)

/ "No Name" gas engines

Oh, I guess I'd be lucky if I get 10 hours on it a year-realistically, 5-8 hours a year. Truth is, I killed the "old" engine I had laying around....3HP Briggs-lost compression. I actually haven't had the tiller that long....

I got the tiller from the Ag shop at the local high school.... kids brought it to the "small gas engine class" and well, tore into the engine, but never finished- like most times. The bottom (tiller) was laying there and teacher wanted it gone, since it was just junk to him- kids kept on saying they would pick up (never happened). And I had the 3.0HP Briggs originally....just cost me a belt at first....but as I said, I killed the Briggs & 3HP is way too small.

So if you think about it....I have about $230 total into this thing (175 for engine, 6.00 for pulley, 12.00 for belt, two new tires 11.00 each, cable and crips (for the clutch)...)

I think this thing would last longer then the "new" stuff being sold. The tines are individual teeth vs the new "stamped steel tines".

I've got another one to repower too... /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif chain driven one. Thought about putting a 5.5HP on that one....

OH...pulled the plug out for the heck of it. Was on the black/sooty side. I guess it's running a little rich....

/ "No Name" gas engines #7  

i have purchased two of those "china clones" last year. the ones i got are air cooled diesels. a 10hp and 5hp. the 10 horse i put on my garden tractor and so far it's been great. tons of torque, more than my 16 horse kohler. real good on fuel consumption too. i got a hour meter when i installed it and after 80 hours of use so far so good. the smaller one was on a snowblower for the winter, now it's on a new walk behind tractor project. got the both for under $500.00 and shipped to my door step.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ "No Name" gas engines #8  

Where did you get the China Diesels ? I am interested in replacing a Kohler K301 on my Gravely with one.

Thanks
Ben

/ "No Name" gas engines

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i have purchased two of those "china clones" last year. the ones i got are air cooled diesels. a 10hp and 5hp. the 10 horse i put on my garden tractor and so far it's been great. tons of torque, more than my 16 horse kohler. real good on fuel consumption too. i got a hour meter when i installed it and after 80 hours of use so far so good. the smaller one was on a snowblower for the winter, now it's on a new walk behind tractor project. got the both for under $500.00 and shipped to my door step.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Yes, do tell!!

/ "No Name" gas engines #10  

yep, i didnt feel like spending the money to rebuild the kohler k 241. i got them on ebay.and there plenty of them always for sale or auction..and alot cheaper than the kohler parts and machine work for a rebuild.. very satisfied with them. maby i will make a pressure washer next. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif