ZTR hours to save Tractor hours

/ ZTR hours to save Tractor hours #1  

Spiffy

Veteran Member
Tractor
PT2445; several ag machines and classics
Not too much time getting anything accomplished, but enjoyed lots of computer time today!

Anyway, after sharing my bad advice to the guy postponing his tractor due to broken appliances thus opting ZTR, and several other mowing threads: I had the theory in the title, now am I way off?

Let's say 30-40HP CUT & finish mower, maybe trade it at 2000hrs; what is the cost [just depreciation]? $8/hour +/- ? [just a guess, I'm asking]

Now if you have a 6K ZTR too [hog, but no finish mower for the tractor] and run it 2000hrs; even assuming 0 resale, that's $3/hour. It seems to me the ZTR is saving $5 for every hour it's used [not to mention efficieny in time].

Now the insane resale of some the CUTs right now may throw my theory out the window, else where is my math off?? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ ZTR hours to save Tractor hours #2  
Interesting thought. I won't comment on your numbers as I have not thought of it that way ....
but since I purchased a ZTR my tractor hours are down since i no longer use it for mowing. If I mow 20 times a year x 3 hours each time = 60 hours a year saved.
Sure will take me longer to get to the 2k mark; and thats a good thing.

Moon of Ohio

/ ZTR hours to save Tractor hours #3  
Spiffy, And I thought you would be OK on this site /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You must have too much time on your hands /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I figure that my time has more value, Hence the ZTR ..... and now my tractor sits /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I originally figured tractor would be used to mow grass with, in addition to snow removal and all other duties.... (reason I bought it)

But I screwed up because , Now I have too much equipment!!
The 4wheeler I got has a snow blade, which is much faster for snow removal tasks and gets into tighter spots and you already know about the grass mowing deal. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But for your question: Considering the overall conditon of the tractor @ 2000hrs would have a good amount to do with my overall decision(value)... That would be one for the Bluebook on tractors.

I bought my tractor to use and I don't get to use it as much as I want or should , So I guess it will hold its value longer /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I suppose I'll find out if I try to sell it?

That in itself aggravates me, because I didn't buy it to polish it," I need more property"....

Sorry I got off track on the first response to this post ,but at least I feel better /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifsomewhat...

My Ztr time is 2hrs weekly where as my tractor hrs was about 4hr so savings(according to Moons 20hrs as an avg.)would be 80 hrs a year , not to mention soil compaction benefit and ease of pattern changes for better growth.

/ ZTR hours to save Tractor hours
Hey Nasty! I'd say the Lesco must be treating you well then...

Ah yes the intangibles (I was making the assumption one could easily find 100hrs of FEL, tilling, etc for the tractor). I don't have a CUT [mostly 'old iron'], but know that an hr on the bushhog fills my tractor mowing itches for a whole season. If a finish mower is the only way to get some seat time on the tractor....why not! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Compaction, and cross cutting....ZTR intangibles, I hadn't even considered. Good thinking Nasty; thinking like that and with all the time the ZTR is saving you, I'm sure you could conjure up all sorts of uses for that tractor!

You're right, I do have too much time on my hands this week.....I had great plans to get all my yard work done, then the weather decided against me....oh well! Looks like it may be better today though. Of course this weekend, it's down to the land of green tractors [fixing fence at the in-laws].

/ ZTR hours to save Tractor hours
<font color="blue"> The nice thing is that one of the dealers handles both Scag and Kubota. Either way, if I go with a ZTR, I could trade "up" to a tractor (or jsut keep the ZTR if I get spoiled)
</font>
<font color="red"> (or jsut keep the ZTR if I get spoiled) </font>
Pulled this from another thread, but any bets how that will come out! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ ZTR hours to save Tractor hours #6  
All I can say is Make room for "ANOTHER TOY" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah Spiffster, The Lesco is doing fine , the more I use it the better I like it.

Just did the first oil & filter change at about 15hrs and it was smooth and quick /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif