B&S 16 hp Twin 2 (magneto?)

/ B&S 16 hp Twin 2 (magneto?) #1  

ruscomredneck

Tractor
Ford 2000
I have a rider with a 16 hp Briggs(model 402707,type 1212). It appears to be running only on one cylinder.I put in new plugs.If I disconnect the plug wires & remove one at a time while the engine is running one side will make the engine stall, the other side has no effect.The side with no effect has spark at the wire.Is there a way of testing the magneto to isolate the problem before throwing a bunch of parts into it.Any other tests I should be trying? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

/ B&S 16 hp Twin 2 (magneto?) #2  
I had a B&S 16 hp twin with the same problem..found there was nada compression in that one cylinder.after taking off the head I found the valve seats musta came loose and wobbled around so much that they were useless. Check compression, Both sides should be almost the same, It's a simple job to remove the head.but not worth the machining to repair the seats. Let us Know! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ B&S 16 hp Twin 2 (magneto?)
Thanks for the vital tip! Probably would have been scratching my head for quite a while before I got in there.Do I require a new head to repair this? I'll check this out & let you know what I find. Thanks again for your quick reply!!

/ B&S 16 hp Twin 2 (magneto?) #4  
Lets hope that it's not bad valve seats..unfortunatley it's also not a over head valve system. if the seats are bad enough you either need some expensive block machining or a new block let us know..