Mower suggestions please

/ Mower suggestions please #1  

JohnSr

Tractor
Kubota B2910, GR2100
anyone have hills like this??? Lawn Pictures

I have been using a little John Deere LT133 and its a little scary on the hills. Also have to spend a lot of time going back w/ my Toro push mower and trimmer to get to places the tractor could not get to safely.

I would like to get a ZTR, like the Hustler Super Mini Z but I am concerned about how it will handle these slopes. Would like input from any users out there who have had experience with similiar properties. Otherwise I guess I will be looking at a Hydro WB.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated,

John

/ Mower suggestions please #2  
   / Mower suggestions please #3  
I think you will finid the bigger brothers to your mower are more stable and smoother. I have a GT235 that does an excellent job on hills like yours winding among trees and plants. That's what I use. It's heavier and more sure footed. The hydrostatic drive is better. The mower deck is better. And I believe it will corner tighter.

You can certainly buy fancier mowers but they tend to cost 3-4 times as much money and have less versatility.

/ Mower suggestions please
Thanks for the suggestions... I like the Roundup and Bark! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did come across the Hustler ATZ in my research but its in the 10k range and I am looking to spend half of that. Besides, I only have those two slopes that you see in the pics so an ATZ would be major overkill for the majority of what I will be cutting.

The other thing I thought about doing was to buy a set of R3's (turf treads) mounted on wheels and a 60" MMM for my Kubota B2910. It would handle the hills up and down since its 4x4 but the cost of all that would come close to buying the ZTR and then I would have the hassle of swapping out tires and taking off the mower deck when I need to do backhoe or loader work.

Thanks for the suggestion... I hadn't really thought of going that route. I could probably get the JD dealer to let me demo one and then trade in the little one. I'll have to check that out...

/ Mower suggestions please #6  
I like using a rider style of mower for hills due to the steer tires in ft., they are easier to steer and hold the tractor going straight and it doesn't tear up the turf.
I use my rider for my little hills and ZTR for everything else, the ZTR is fast and fun.

/ Mower suggestions please #7  
John, forget all the traditional style garden or lawn tractors. Forget all the various types of ZTRs too. I live on a ridge where a creek and a river intersect, my elevation drop is 60' and most of that is in a very steep drop, I have a couple slopes on the property that get you out of breath walking up, my worst required wheel weights AND tire chains and my GT still spun its tires climbing that hill.

I went on a search about a year ago for the very best garden tractor and I thought I knew what I wanted. I was very wrong. I ended up buying a brand I had never heard of or seen before and am still amazed by the quality of the cut and the ability to do "figure 8s" and "U-turns" on the slopes that would have flipped my GT.

Now my neighbor down the road has seen me zipping around at high speed and wanted to bring his Dixie Chopper ZTR over for a race . . . I said fine, I'll race you but we start on the slope behind the house . . . he walked over, looked at the slope and knew his ZTR would do nothing more than tumble down it in an uncontrolled fashion, he turned around and said YOU WIN.

For a small property with some moderately steep slopes, nothing beats a Ventrac 3000.
Ventrac 3000 and NH TC24 size comparision

Ventrac 3000 alone on lawn

Ventrac 3000 with front bucket

Here is a link to the Ventrac factory website : Ventrac.com

Link to my old thread searching for the best garden tractor, but be warned, it rambles around and looks at all sorts of different brands!

/ Mower suggestions please #8  
I have hills like that, and when I made the step up to the Deere 400 series, and now the X series with the All Wheel Steer, I learned what great mowing on slopes could be like. And it works great. Such a big difference in traction (rarely use the differential lock but it is useful on the needed occasion.
Try one out if possible.

Wow Bob! An articulating mower! I thought i had seen it all! I didnt see a link to search for a local dealer on their website, do they sell direct? Can you give me an idea of the price range?

Thanks

/ Mower suggestions please #10  
John, Ventracs are basically used for commercial operations, national monuments, parks, etc. so they are built like tanks, and unfortunately priced like the heavy duty pieces of equipment they are. My unit cost me about $9000. I will say it was/is worth every penny because I am no longer in fear when I mow. Further, its speed, while not quite up to a ZTR's speed, has cut nearly an hour a week off of our mowing time. The quality of the cut is simply amazing it is almost impossible to scalp the lawn, even on rough bumpy uneven ground. I can mow the same spot of ground with my Ventrac and my Cub and my NH and only the Ventrac will follow the contours of the ground and not scalp it.

I have places on my property that the Cub Cadet would spin its wheels climbing even with 75# weights and snow chains, the Ventrac simply climbs up them without a wimper and powers the mower deck at full speed while climbing. I tried a couple of JD mowers and the mower deck would shut off to give the power to the wheels. My Cub would power the mower deck, but about 20% of the time it would shut off the deck to give more power to the wheels.

The articulated and oscillating body follows every contour and keeps all 4 wheels in contact with the ground at all times, it is effectively a 4wheel drive, 4wheel steer tractor that will go virtually anywhere.

As for sales, they do not sell direct, but what they will do is bring one to you from a dealership. I did not have any dealer near me, so a regional rep for Ventrac went to a dealer, loaded up a tractor and some implements and drove to my house. (5 hours one way!!!) He showed me how to use it and told me to go out and mow the lawn so I did. I was sold in about 30 seconds (despite the fact that I didn't have a price yet) but I test drove it on every part of my property climbing slopes, running the flats at full speed, zipping circles around the pine trees. I was simply amazed. TALK ABOUT THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB, this thing simply goes anywhere, does what it is supposed to do, has plenty of power for the task, and never complains while doing any of it. I was under NO OBLIGATION to buy the unit, he did NOT even give me any pressure to buy it, he brought it out for me to try. He made all the arrangemets so the test run fit MY schedule. So the guy was great, but the clincher was the fact that the Ventrac is THAT good at doing its job that it simply is worth the steep price.

The only draw back has been my brother. He is about as mechanically inclined as you can get. He's brilliant, but if he gets any tool in his hand more dangerous than a roll of duct tape we have to take it away from him for his safety and the safety of those around him. Well he like my Ventrac. He came over one day and drove it. An hour late he came running in the house saying it was like driving a video game. Now every time he comes over I have to hide the keys or he will run over some new plant that the lovely Mrs_Bob just put into the ground.

I found the little slip scoop front bucket to be a great addition. I can now carry things into parts of my property that would always tip over a garden cart or wheel barrow. I also purchsed a leaf blower, it is more like a controlled tornado than a leaf blower, it has enough power to blow rocks and debris off a parking lot so doing simple things like blowing leaves is child's play.