Zero turn

/ Zero turn #1  

dsdjones

I want to buy a zero turn to mow about 6 acres. I have been advised that it is better to buy a 'commercial' grade machine rather than something from one of the DIY stores like Lowes.
For commercial machines I have looked at Exmark, Hustler and Scag. I demo'ed a Hustler and was pleased with it and would like to patronise my local dealer who offers Hustler and Scag; however, I understand Exmark is the 'gold standard'.
What does anyone think? Is there much difference between the 3 brands I have mentioned?
Thanks.

/ Zero turn #2  
I don't think Exmark is the "gold standard" by any means. The whole thing with ZTR's is they are just like anything else, they are very territorial. Scag sells the most ZTR's in the market, Exmark sells the most in the south, Grasshopper invented the technology...I could go on and on. All ZTR's are similiar in drive systems, the thing that should make your mind up is the attention to detail.

If you have a local Cub Cadet dealer in your area I would stop by and ask to look at their Tanks...if the salesmen knows his head from his feet you will see what I mean when I say "attention to detail."

/ Zero turn #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ... Grasshopper invented the technology... )</font>

Hustler claims that they did this. Although Grasshopper moved in and used a different drive method later on. So Hustler invented the ZTR concept but Grasshopper might have been the first to use individual hydraulic drive motors for each wheel to accomplish that.

/ Zero turn #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For commercial machines I have looked at Exmark, Hustler and Scag. )</font>

You are on the right path by avoiding the box store residential machines. As for the three you mentioned above all are top notch manufacturers. I personally use a Scag and I couldn't be happier.

As for Exmark being the gold standard? I guess that all depends on where you live. Around here the commercial guys seem to use Scag the most with Exmark being second and I rarely ever see Hustler. With all that being said any one of these machines will work well for you on your 6 acres. These machines are made to run all day every day. It would take you forever to wear one out.

/ Zero turn #5  
I bought an Exmark, and it's been flawless. My next door neighbor has had his Hustler for years with no problems. I think the dealer is just about as important, buy from someone you have confidence in and who you think will be there in the long run - any of these machines will do well for you, the rest is down to personal preference. A test mow would really answer any final questions. Depending on deck size, one of the reasons I bought the Exmark was that the deck stuck out about 6" on one side enabling me to mow closely to trees and such without dragging the tire as I went around, a test mow is where I noticed this...........

/ Zero turn #6  
Don't discount Country Clipper as a possible option.

I bought one last year and have been VERY happy with it.

See the this thread for my selection process:

Country Clipper ZTR

/ Zero turn #7  
Until you try a Grasshopper you haven't looked at the best.

/ Zero turn #8  
Well I would agree with you about the GH thing so long as we are talking about front deck models...GH does not have the best mid-mount on the market. I sell two models of mid mounts and GH isn't my number 1...

/ Zero turn #9  
I only have experience with the front mount, but have been thinking about a mid mount. What do you find not so good about their (GH) mid mount. What is the other brand you handle?

/ Zero turn #10  
We carry the Cub Cadet Commercial (Tank) models too. I will compare briefly a Tank to a GH.

Tank has 14 gallon gas capacity, GH has 4.
Tanks's deck is pulled from the front which gives a better cut on MM ZTR's, GH's is pushed from behind (just like everybody else)
8 quart hydraulic capactiy on the Tanks, 3 quart on GH
Pivoting front axle on Tanks, not on GH's

...I could go on and on...its all about attention to detail. Thinks like on the Tank their front deck wheels have metal bushings with grease fittings whereas almost all others on the market use plastic bushing with no grease fittings. If you have a Cub dealer in your area you should stop by and look at these units.

It took years for my Cub rep to finally convince me that the Tanks were worth carrying...and now I sell 10 Tanks to every 1 GH, and not because they are cheaper but because they are just better built machines.