Cub Cadet Choices

/ Cub Cadet Choices #1  

RCT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 2138
I am trying to decide on a new tractor. I have picked out three Cubs. Anybody have experience with a LT1050 or LT 2042 or RZT 42? I want something that has serviceable not replaceable parts (had a Murray with a bad hydro that had to be replaced to the tune of $900). Is the 2042 that much better? My yard is about 3/4 acreand I don't want to spend much more than $2,500 (I will have to save quite awhile to get that)>.

/ Cub Cadet Choices #2  
Of those three I would go with the LT1050. Its a great machines for the money. I would stay wawy from the RZT42...if you wanted a zero turn I would get the RZT50. I would only go for the 2000 series if you had steep inclines or needed to pull something. The 1050 is probably your best bet...try to purchase from a dealer and not Lowes.

/ Cub Cadet Choices
I do have a little bit of a slope on one side of the yard. As far as pulling, I saved the frame with all 4 wheels still attached so I could build a trailer out of it later (only thing worth anything on the Murray). Also, I considered the SLT 1554. Just want to be able to get the yard done as quick as possible. I have quite a few trees/shrubs to maneuver around. Don't think I can wait to save up the $3,000 for the RZT 50 though. Finally what is the difference in a "serviceable tranny in the 1000s and the fully serviceable tranny in the 2000s. Are the hydros any good in the RZT 42? (The whole Murray incident).

/ Cub Cadet Choices #4  
The trailer I think you'd make from the old mower shouldn't be a burden on any machine. 3/4 acre and gentle landscape shouldn't throw too many red flags either, although the target price on lawn tractors is so aggressive these days that I'd go as heavy as possible anyway [don't think your needs really call for a GT though].

Now the quandry, you say as fast a possible. If you have obstacles, the ZTR is the choice for cutting time. The RZTs didn't impress me, but they were made for lawns like yours. I didn't recall much advantage of the 50; it has the twin cylinder, larger tires, 4pt antiscalp...maybe that is enough difference; Gamble would know better than I.

My statements on RZTs aren't exactly fair anyway; I was actually comparing the ZForce to a true commercial machine at the same time I looked over the RZTs. Rumor around the web is 800 hours on the EZT integrated pump/motor [sorry if I'm propogating rumor here]. The IZT, like the ZForce, sure seems beefer [and gives me more of a "warm-fuzzy", but I haven't seen anything that diffinitively states longer life. I guess if I were saving for a mower in that ballpark, I'd hobble something by unit I'd afford the ZForce44; however, if I'm imagining your lawn right, I don't know of a bad choice.

Last note: All other things being equal, since a Zturn cuts mowing time, you'll have maybe 2/3 the hours on the engine in 10 years [actually every time you mow for that matter] as you would a LT.

/ Cub Cadet Choices
Well by my calculations...
It took about 1 1/2 hours with the Murray to cut the grass with a 42" deck. Assuming 2/3 the time that is 1 hour times 7 months cutting that is 30 hours per year. Or about 26 years at 800 hours life. Any way to maintain the hydros in the RZT 42 (change the oil, etc)? Sorry, I'm an accountant by trade.

/ Cub Cadet Choices #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well by my calculations...
It took about 1 1/2 hours with the Murray to cut the grass with a 42" deck. Assuming 2/3 the time that is 1 hour times 7 months cutting that is 30 hours per year. Or about 26 years at 800 hours life. Any way to maintain the hydros in the RZT 42 (change the oil, etc)? Sorry, I'm an accountant by trade. )</font>

Mmmmm...zactly! Someone should substantiate this all... but so far it's been fairly well substantiatedi that it is capable of lasting this long... it going to last as long as you probably expect it to.... fact is... no one knows... it could be more...

/ Cub Cadet Choices
I don't really expect it to last that long but 10-15 years would be nice.

/ Cub Cadet Choices #8  
An accountant?! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just buy the M48 Tank [the M60 is beautiful, but your obstacles are probably too tight]..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, reasonable sized lot, no abuse, and reasonable expections: I think you would be very happy with a consumer or residential Z [i.e. the RZT]. Hopefully though, Gamble can give a bit more detail on his distinct advice to the 50 over 42.

The only thing I know about the maintenance; the IH [cub]dealer here said they never have trouble except some of the earlier ones [and that was I think the IZTs] would take on moisture if left in the rain; supposedly this would do some pretty quick damage if ran that way.

/ Cub Cadet Choices #9  
Almost forgot, if you use your trailer on any residential ZTR, long before you endanger the engine or trannys, stability may be spooky.....With the pictures of your lawn and your trailer my mind conjured up, it still shouldn't be an issue.

/ Cub Cadet Choices #10  
My reasons for liking the RZT50 over the RZT42 are just like Chad said. I don't like the single cylinder engines, especially the Briggs, don't like that it doesn't have anti-scalp wheels...I just don't feel "confident" selling it to customers. I have sold one in the past two years and the guy special ordered it, I don't stock them.

The transmissions in the RZT's are not servicable.

I think you can narrow your search to two units...the LT1050 and the RZT50. Obviously the RZT will give you a better cut as well as cut your time in almost half. The LT1050 is a great little machine for the $. I think the 2000 series is a little over-kill for you needs. The "fully servicalbe" trans (has its own filter) is nice, as is the drive shaft but for your land and your needs I really don't think you will need those "extras."

So...now you get to decide if you want to spend another $1000 and cut your mowing time in half!