Shutdown Solenoid? (Kohler engine question)

/ Shutdown Solenoid? (Kohler engine question) #1  

cphilip

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti 2610HST, Toro Titan ZX 5400 w Kawaski, Bush Hog rotory, Farm KIng tiller, Land Pride Box blade, Tiger attachments forks, Land Pride Grooming mower, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, Superior 20' 7700# Equip Trailer
After about 5 hours time on this thing...I am reading this operators manual.... yea... realy! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Says "For engines without a shutdown solenoid: move throttle to slow or low idle position. Allow the engine to idle for 30-60 seconds; then stop the engine. For engines with a shutdown solenoid: position the throttle between half and full throttle; then stop the engine."

So does anyone know what the Kohler 15 Courage has?

Also note they say to not engage the Electric PTO at high RPM's. I have always done that in the past on the old Snapper LT. Because I was told too. And this Dealer only said not to disengage at high RPM's due to the braking feature. Safety thing I think.

Anyone got some input on this thing?

/ Shutdown Solenoid? (Kohler engine question) #2  
The manual is correct, if you shut down the motor at high rpms it will backfire, I know I have the same 36" Fastrak as you have minus the headlights /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
My guess on the pto clutch is it doesn't like all the torque being applied all at once, it may not be one of the higher grade model pto clutches.

/ Shutdown Solenoid? (Kohler engine question) #3  
Us old folks sometimes have a problem with adjusting to new technology. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My Toro ZTR has a Briggs & Stratton engine, and apparently has that shutdown solenoid, because I have always been accustomed to slowing engines to an idle before stopping them, but not on this one. If you turn the key off at idle, you get a tremendous "backfire", and both manuals (Toro ZTR manual and the Briggs engine manual) say to turn off the key at full throttle, so that's what I do and it dies with no explosions.

/ Shutdown Solenoid? (Kohler engine question)
"... Us old folks sometimes have a problem with adjusting to new technology. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"

Hit the nail right on there!

So low throttle to turn the engine off on this Kohler 15? So we are saying this engine does not have this mysterious Solenoid then?

And lower RPM's for both on and off the PTO?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My guess on the pto clutch is it doesn't like all the torque being applied all at once, it may not be one of the higher grade model pto clutches. )</font>

Well he indicated it has something to do with the auto brake thats part of the safety feature when the switches have to cut it out if you are "deThroned". He said it was to make the brake surface last longer. However he said nothing about engaging. Just disengagment was what he was refering too. The manual indicates the engagment at lower RPM's though. But says not much about how low that is. I would guess anything below 1/2 throttle?

/ Shutdown Solenoid? (Kohler engine question) #6  
I engage the pto at half throttle, it seems to work. I let the motor idel for about 30sec and it has not backfired yet. I came off the seat just enough for the seat switch to close once while mowing and got a very loud backfire so I would say the manual is correct.

Thanks wushaw for the info, I will follow your lead. Seems to be working for you so I down wid it!

One more quick question.... What throttle position are you starting your cold engine? I was going with the about 2/3 or so theory here. Not full but up above 1/2 or so. Till the thing warms and oil is pumping a minute or two before going full throttle. Dont' see anything on that in the Manual....

/ Shutdown Solenoid? (Kohler engine question) #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Says "For engines without a shutdown solenoid: move throttle to slow or low idle position. Allow the engine to idle for 30-60 seconds; then stop the engine. For engines with a shutdown solenoid: position the throttle between half and full throttle; then stop the engine." )</font>

I have found that just below 50% throttle gives you a "bang free" shut down. I have tried it on several Kohlers since it became an issue here and at other forums I frequent. Solenoid or no solenoid it seems to work equally well.

Slam

/ Shutdown Solenoid? (Kohler engine question) #9  
I have been starting mine at about 1/4 throttle, I think your method is just fine. I think the key is just letting it warm up a little before going full bore.

When you start looking for filters...there is an on-line company in Tulsa Ok that I bought a case of ten filters for 24.00, they had a limited supply of these cases and these filters are about 9.00 apiece everywhere I looked.
Sorry I don't have the web address.

If you find it, let me know. Sounds like a good investment.

I ment to tell you this earlier. Yesterday I installed the Hour Meter on this thing. The one listed for the Fastrak is also an easy install on the Mini. The kit lists for $29 and the accessory wiring plug is already in there. Tucked up and strap tied behind the battery. However let me warn you that the instructions with it are for the Fastrak not the Mini and so it shows you the wrong location for the knock out in the frame to fit the meter into. However it is there. And in fact in a better configuration than the knock out of the Fastrak. Its over on the left hand side of the frame as your sitting on the mower. You will see a rectangular knock out if you look close. Inside under the seat and right behind the knock out almost is the wiring plug that it all plugs into. Its a three minute install after you get the knock out done. Nice little meter too.

I also got the new seat yesterday. If I did not mention it, when I went to pick the mower up the seat had some small slits in it. The dealer had already ordered a replacement for it. So he asked me if it was ok to take it like that and he would replace it. And so he did. Took him a week to get the new seat in and I was wanting the arm rests so he got those for me and had already put them on when I got there to exchange it. And a nice suprise was that the seat he replaced it with is a sliding adjustment type seat. Looks almost identical other than it has sliding tracks and a lever under it. It fastens different. It uses nuts and washers rather than bolts. But you can set it up in the middle of the slots of the seat pan (or where ever) and then adjust it at will with the lever. Not a nessicary item but a nice touch. I do not, nor did he, know if this is a larger model seat or a change or what. He ordered a replacement Mini seat and this is what they sent him. So its kind of a plus.