Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    05 CASE IH D35 W/FEL

Default torque specs for B&S 12.5

Anyone know the torque specs for a 12.5 Briggs & Stratton model 28V707 type 1170 need specs for heads and rod caps. One year old machine is hogging oil and smoking badly. I have replaced the crankcase breather assy. I think I have a broken oil ring as it has lots of power and runs well, also easy to start. The other mower bought at the same time has no problems, its the same type and model. I can get parts at local auto syore but no specs. Any help will be appreciated.

jim

Default Re: torque specs for B&S 12.5

Jim, It's been awhile, but is'nt that an overhead valve engine?
    If it is, before you do a full tear-down, pull the head and see if the head gasket is blown between the lifter galley and cyl. Seen that more than once. For your specs just drop by your B&S dealer (highly recommend the factory parts over NAPA)

Tractor
    L4310hst-loader-hydraulic top link

Don't know if they give specs on the website or not but here it is. http://www.briggsandstratton.com/Mai...1&MSCSSID=1234

Might help
    Gordon

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    05 CASE IH D35 W/FEL

Kubmech & Gorden. It is A L head engine, could not find specs on B&S website . The auto parts store in town handles genuine B&S parts & has microfilms of engines and part numbers but they don't show torque specs, THANKS anyway

jim

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    05 CASE IH D35 W/FEL

I sent JohnMillerIII a private e-mail yesterday, but he hasn't answered yet. He can come with about anything instantly.

jim

Tractor
    Kubota L3650/AC B210

Jim

I just order parts for a Tecumseh from Small Engine Warehouse in Tulsa. They have a website and apparently most parts must be in stock because the engine I ordered for is 20-30 years old and the stuff, (rod, rings, piston, gaskets) was here in 4 days. They also had a manual for the engine. Reason I ordered from them is that I ordered the manual from my local dealer the week before Memorial Day. (It still isn't here.) These guys had it in my mailbox in under a week. Pricing isn't bad either and they can probably give you the torque specs when you call in an order. If you want, I can look up the website address for you.

SHF

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    05 CASE IH D35 W/FEL

Steven, thanks but I will contact a small engine repairman here in town ,he will most likely give me the specs, thanks again

jim

Tractor
    JD 300B, JD 4310

B&S manual says 165 in. lbs for head bolts, and 190 in. lbs. for rods for 280000 series. - Stan

Tractor
    JD 300B, JD 4310

But I don't know what the "v" means. If this is a 2-cylinder, disregard my previous post. _ Stan

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    05 CASE IH D35 W/FEL

Stan, thanks a bunch! the engine is a single cylinder. I looked at a friends engine and it was a 28S series and and I could not tell any difference in the engines. I don't know what the V stands for.

jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast