JD LT 150 or 160

/ JD LT 150 or 160 #1  

gpod

Tractor
JD 770 & JD LT160
I posted this in the JD forum and was suggested to move it here. Might have to return my new JD L111 for vibration problems (previous post in own-operate). If I do I would move up to a LT 150 or 160 with the 42" Freedom mower deck. I mulch my 1/2 acre lawn 100% of the time. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ JD LT 150 or 160 #2  
My dad, one of my brothers and two of my nephews purchased L-160s last summer. None of them have complained yet, not really anyway. My dad is 79 and he keeps running it out of gas, says he can't read the sight guage very well. I might need to get him a tractor-trunk and a gallon can to put in it... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seriously, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

/ JD LT 150 or 160
Thanks. I hope at 79 I have enough gas to run my tractor out of gas.

/ JD LT 150 or 160 #4  
It's not my money /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.... but I would be inclined to move up to the LT180. The 180 has a V-Twin 17hp Kawasaki and is available with the 42" mulch deck.

/ JD LT 150 or 160 #5  
I've used my LT160 with a freedon deck for many years (bought in April of '98) and have been quite pleased with both tractor and deck. It's very good at chewing up the grass or leaves. I don't rake leaves, I just mow them and I have a lot of maple and oak leaves. Haven't had a need for more power, but it sure can't hurt.

Cliff

/ JD LT 150 or 160 #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It's not my money /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.... but I would be inclined to move up to the LT180. The 180 has a V-Twin 17hp Kawasaki and is available with the 42" mulch deck. )</font>

Funny you mention that. That is exactly what I ended up ordering. My dealer had a 48" deck in stock but recommended a 42" if I was going to use a bagger without the power blower assist. I hope the Kawasaki is a good engine.

/ JD LT 150 or 160
Well I traded in the L111 for the LT160 with the 42"C deck. Dealer gave me a full refund for the L111 in and out in about 1/2 hour no problems. The LT160 has 4hp less but handles the hills better cutting sideways and up & down. It is a bit louder but vibration is allot less and the turning radius is smaller with less effort to turn it. Wish I had the cash for the LT180 but way to much money to spend for 1/2 acre of grass. I also picked up the bolt on the back 15 gallon 5' wide spray pattern sprayer, since JD had a $250.00 rebate when you buy the LT160. It will be nice to spray weed killer with out walking all over the place just sit and relax.

/ JD LT 150 or 160 #8  
Gpod, I did the same thing last week, the old stx38 had just about given up the ghost. I also thought about the lt180 but 900 to a thousand more was a little much for just mowing. I had such good luck with a 12.5 kohler I figured why mess with it. I went with the 42 in non mulching deck. I had made up my mind on the LT 160 and came home and checked around when I found out about the 250 off deal. I thought about the sprayer but already had one on the 4 wheeler but with the smaller size pump that couldn't handler a boom. I decided to go with a XT140 trimmer. It was listed at 339.00 so I was out less than $100. I probably wouldn't have bought it for full price since I have had such good luck with a sthil but for the price I figured it was worth a try. They had to order it and I got it Saturday as a Father's Day gift from my two sons. They thought I didn't know about it and we will keep it that way. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I wish us luck with the 160's and I hope we don't have any horror stories to share.

Patrick

/ JD LT 150 or 160 #9  
Gents - seems like the LT series has no 'cruise' control - i.e. no way to set a steady speed other than with a steady foot on the pedal. Seems like that *could* be annoying, assuming your yard is such (wide open) that you can even think about a steady speed for an extended period. I wonder if this ends up being pretty much a non-issue - is this something you've even noticed in real-world use?

/ JD LT 150 or 160 #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Gents - seems like the LT series has no 'cruise' control - i.e. no way to set a steady speed other than with a steady foot on the pedal. Seems like that *could* be annoying, assuming your yard is such (wide open) that you can even think about a steady speed for an extended period. I wonder if this ends up being pretty much a non-issue - is this something you've even noticed in real-world use? )</font>

Short answer is, no.

I do like it on my 4110 CUT, but on the LT160, the foot pressure is so nicely ballanced that I never even thought about cruise. Wouldn't use it if I had it on the LT. When I was looking at the 4110 I thought it was a useless feature, but the amount of load the tractor varies quite a bit more and thus the back pressure on the foot is different. I kind of like the cruise on the CUT.

Cliff