Lets Talk Mow Decks

/ Lets Talk Mow Decks #1  

BX1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 1500 and Bolens ST125
I would like opinions on the type of mow deck you prefer and why. Why you ask? Well I'm currently in the process of a new mower purchase. I currently have a Bolens ST125. The thing makes the nicest cut. My neighbor has commented on several occasions about it. The thing is, the mow deck is not suspended from the belly of the tractor as most are but, for the most part, actually rides on the grass itself. The front of the deck is attached just in front of the engine, the rear rides on a couple of wheels, one in each side. I think Simplicity uses this same general setup. I used my father-in-laws Craftsman, where the deck is attached to the belly, and it did not make near as nice a cut. I even purchased gauge wheels (two on each side and one in the front) and that did not help. I'm currently seriously considering a GR2100 to replace the aging Bolens. But I noticed the mow deck is standard issue "attached at the belly". I also saw a Cub Cadet this weekend where the deck rides on four wheels (not gauge wheels). This seemed interesting but the tractor itself looked kinda frankensteined. Let me hear some opinions please.

Steve

/ Lets Talk Mow Decks #2  
Heres my rough as heck yard after being cut by a GR2000...No scalpin and smooth as a golf course...I have the standard (OEM) blades on and you can't even see any clippings laying in the yard after you mow...believe it or not the grass was 8" to 12" tall and I had just finished mowing when I took these pics...

Slam

gr16mg.jpg

gr20mf.jpg

/ Lets Talk Mow Decks #3  
not sure i quite understand the difference you are talking about. I have had a craftsman 13 years (same one) and it give a pretty decent cut, has 2 rear wheels, and my lawn is not very level, so on ocassion i will get some marks but what the heck, the tractor is good and the deck is like new of course i only put about 125 hrs a year on it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lets Talk Mow Decks #4  
I see what he means. Some decks are "ground following" where they ride on the ground and adjust for low spots and such. Most decks are "fixed or suspended." They simply follow the tractors motions and do not ride on the ground.

I've never used one that was ground following so I can't comment on the quality of cut vs. a suspended deck.

/ Lets Talk Mow Decks
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I see what he means. Some decks are "ground following" where they ride on the ground and adjust for low spots and such. Most decks are "fixed or suspended." They simply follow the tractors motions and do not ride on the ground.

I've never used one that was ground following so I can't comment on the quality of cut vs. a suspended deck. )</font>

Thanks for simplifying that up for me. I get a little windy trying to explain things sometimes. In addition to the Craftsman my F-I-L has a vintage JD 216 (or 316 I cant remember exactly). When he used the JD it made a nice cut but he cuts his grass kinda short. The deck is suspended from the tractor. I mow pretty high with my Bolens and it makes a really nice cut (when the blades are sharp). When I was using his Craftsman I could never get it to cut as nice as the BOlens. I adjusted the deck nine ways to Sunday. It was level and then some. When I was done I had light spots in the yard where the deck had apparently cut low. The Bolens would have probably floated over those spots. Can I adjust a suspended deck to take ground contours more easily? The design has to be good otherwise the pros would not use it.

/ Lets Talk Mow Decks #6  
With my Simplicity, which the deck rides on the ground, you can achive the "grasshopper" look. You know, stripes. It also cuts even on reasonable lawns. It also cuts the grass fine, where you can't see thje clippings. Used the JD175 and cut .5", with more noticable clippings than the Simplicity cutting 6".