riding lawn mowers

/ riding lawn mowers #1  

rbrewer

buying a riding lawn mower for about two acres. I Have been looking at JD and CC. Any suggestions??

/ riding lawn mowers #2  
If you are looking at JD, look at the LT series, like an LT160 or LT180.

/ riding lawn mowers
would the L120 or L130 be ok? for 2 acres

/ riding lawn mowers
cc 1050

/ riding lawn mowers #6  
For better or worse, the "L" series are built to similar design/level as most of the MTD or AYP machines out there - (possibly excepting the CCs) and nothing necessarily wrong with them, but the LT series has many small improvements that *should* result in greater longevity and better 'repairability'.

Browse the JD Parts pages where there are exploded diagrams of the whole machine, and you'll see things like bushings on the LT where the L has nothing, and ball bearings on the LT where the L has bushings. Welded frames versus bolt-togethers. You'll find as you go up the Deere line into the LX (and on into the GT, GX, X... etc.,.) series the 'sophistication' grows and things are built using simply heavier duty components.

Only you can make the call as to whether those 'upgrades' are worth the difference in cost for you, but the LT160 seems to be getting awfully popular as a decent compromise between price and enough small improvements over the typical lawn machine to be worth while. The LT180 has a nicer engine and 1 more hp, but it comes at quite another jump (over $500 extra) in price. I don't think there's any other difference between the two besides the engine.

If you do go with an "L", consider getting it from a dealer rather than the box store. It should be the same price anyway, and at least you'll begin a dialogue with the shop that's going to have to service it if you need any help.

/ riding lawn mowers #7  
Tim,

For those very reasons, my Dad got himself an LT160. After 20 years of using a Lesco 48" walk-behind, he decided to cut the grass at home sitting down.

/ riding lawn mowers #8  
I am a strong advocator of supporting a reputable dealer over any type of box store. Buy a machine from a dealer and you will (usually) receive preferential treatment when it comes time for maintanance.

While the L Deeres and LT Cubs are priced attractively, you will be much more satisfied with an LT or LX Deere or a 200-series Cub with shaft drive.

Of course, we all like to spend each other's money, but I have a GT 225 and I could not imagine having anything smaller. The heavy frame and large wheels are ideal. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ riding lawn mowers #9  
Did the palm trees come with the LT160 or were those extra-cost? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice looking place.

The one down side (besides cost) I see on the LT Deere series over the L's - I think you give up any type of 'cruise control'. You have the classic Deere hydro twin-pedals - but that's it. You have to keep one or the other pedal depressed at all times. Seems like that could get annoying IF you have a nice wide-open lawn where you really don't need to vary the speed very often. The LX and up have both the pedals and a fender-mount lever - you use what fits the need at the time, and I believe the L's also have some type of 'cruise' to set a steady speed.

Maybe some of the new LT owners could share their thoughts on that now that they've gotten some seat time in. I'm considering an LT160 to supplement my JD318 (that's sidelined at the moment) and have wondered about that pedal-only thing.

/ riding lawn mowers #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( While the L Deeres and LT Cubs are priced attractively, you will be much more satisfied with an LT or LX Deere or a 200-series Cub with shaft drive.
)</font>
MY thoughts exactly!!!!! 2 acres is a lot for a light duty lawn tractor.