JD 455 Blows PTO Fuse and Shuts Down

/ JD 455 Blows PTO Fuse and Shuts Down #1  

Wiens

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 455, JD 425, JD 320, 730 Diesel
Fellow JD diesel owners/mechanics,

I need some help. My new to me 455 is blowing the "F-6" fuse, at least that's what the dealer called it. It's the top fuse on the two on the circuit board. I mowed for two hours on Tuesday when it was cool outside and had no problems. Today I mowed for 20 minutes and it blew the fuse. It was around 95-100 degrees. After trying to find why it didn't start I found the blown fuse and I replaced it. It had sat for about an hour and had cooled down. It ran fine for another 20-30 minutes and did the same thing. I replaced the fuse and started it up and it blew within 5 minutes. This went on for 5 more times until I ran out of 15, 20 & 30 amp fuses. I was scared to try the 50 or 75 amp. If I leave it set for 30-60 minutes it runs fine until it gets warm. The temp gauge didn't show more the 1/4 to 1/3 up.

Is the PTO circuit connected to the temp sending unit as a fail-safe? I will be able to borrow the tech manual for my local JD dealer but was wondering if anyone had prior experience with this problem or had a tech manual they could look up the testing procedure. The tractor is a 2001 model, serial number 90,000+. It has only 500 hours on it and is clean and appears well maintained. Coolant is full, the side grills are and have been cleaned and the radiator screen is kept clean during mowing. I greased the mower deck spindles before mowing. Nothing seems to be binding in the deck.

I'm at a loss, however, I suspect something in the cooling circuit may be causing the fuse to blow. What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin in Kansas

/ JD 455 Blows PTO Fuse and Shuts Down #2  
Any thoughts from the responses so far?

Also posted in
Deere Group
and here
'nother Deere group

and JD Owning/Operating

Have you had any chance to better define the problem, or check out any suggestions?

/ JD 455 Blows PTO Fuse and Shuts Down
Yep, you caught me. I found several JD forums and have noticed that they have somewhat of a different membership. So I thought I'd try the shotgun approach.

I have done some basic tests and checking but no problems uncovered yet. I had hoped to find a short or bare/broken wire, no such luck. I did recheck the coolant level in the radiator and it was just above the core so I filled it up. Don't know if that will make any difference. I don't have anymore lawn to mow to try it until later this week.

I talked to the JD dealer and he suggested switching the PTO solenoid from the known working one on the 425 I have to the 455. Not sure if it will make a difference.

Kevin in Kansas

/ JD 455 Blows PTO Fuse and Shuts Down
Well, I think I found the problem to the fuse blowing on my 455. The wiring harness on the left inside frame rail has has a connector for the rear PTO option. After I transferred my rear 540 PTO from my 425 to my 455 I noticed two cut wires (RIO) and one pink/white wire (RIP) that looked like it had its insulation stripped back 1.5 inches . From what I can tell it would short on the frame. I haven't been able to use the tractor yet as I encountered a few small problems with the rear PTO.

I hopefully will be able to use the mower in the next two evenings. I'll keep you posted.

Kevin in Kansas

/ JD 455 Blows PTO Fuse and Shuts Down #5  
I've been following your thread, and hope you found the problem. I haven't chimed in before as I had no solutions to offer. Please keep us informed as to your progress.

/ JD 455 Blows PTO Fuse and Shuts Down #6  
Hey, that makes about 5 of us here in Kansas on the TBN boards!

/ JD 455 Blows PTO Fuse and Shuts Down #7  
Hey, that makes about 5 of us here in Kansas on the TBN boards!

15 years later my 455 shur down while mowing, top 15 amp fuse blowen, replace, blows again when PTO is engaged. found the PTO selenoid on back of trans was weak. erplaced and running OK now.