Suggestions for new/first mower

/ Suggestions for new/first mower #1  

IH8Yardwork

Just got my first house about a week ago. 1/2 acre of lawn, 90% of which is flat with no trees or landscaping (for now). Small front yard with 15-20 degree slope @ ditch. Currently pushing it for about 2 hours + trim work. Would a ZTR be too much mower? Looking to spend 2-3K, obviuosly lower is better, but willing to pay for quality. If not, any other suggestions? Not looking to do anything but mow. No plows, etc. Thanks

/ Suggestions for new/first mower #2  
a half acre should not tax a machine very much. I would look at any of the ZTR mowers in your price range. I imagine a 38" deck would be fine for your needs.
Will
P.S. If you don't mind some walking, another alternative would be a 36" commercial walk behind mower. For the same price you could get a commercial machine that would last forever on a half acre.

/ Suggestions for new/first mower #3  
Sounds a lot like my yard. About any of the small ones should do it. My choice was the Hustler Mini Fastrack in the 36" because of some real tight places up in the front yard and storage shed door clearance. And after looking around at them all in the small range it seemed the best built one and best warranty. But there are not that many in that small a size either. But your situation might allow the 42" one if you can use it ... Or something wider even. The 36" one can be had in your price range. Paid $2999 for mine wich is $500 under the MSRP so it can be done. The bigger deck is a few hundered more if you can find a dealer that deals.

/ Suggestions for new/first mower #4  
I would suggest a 48" walk-behind (Scag, Exmark, etc). That would fit nicely in your price range and will cut your 1/2 acre lawn in short order.

/ Suggestions for new/first mower #5  
You understand your area, your challanges, your needs, and know what you want to spend! I don't think you'll have too hard of a time finding something to you'll be happy with.

Don't have any first hand on the walk behinds, but if the slopes have you concerned, you may be ahead looking at the that option....if you "need" to look cool mowing, you can get a sulky [towed seat] or a velke [towed platform] for the flat stuff....

Ebay Scag

If you're set on the ZTR; 1/2 acre should be well within the abilities of any consumerZ; but that ditch may leave a little concern without a fairly stout frame.

The nice thing is that either walk behind or ZTR, on a 1/2acre, deck size doesn't need to be huge to save you time. I'd think anywhere between 36"&48" would cut your time in half. Also, if you have room to keep the pusher for the ditch, maybe that frees up your options too.

/ Suggestions for new/first mower
Well, after more research than i care to admit to, i am leaning hard towards the hustler mini fastrak 42/17 kohler. This has also caused me to change my spending to the 3-4k range. Warranty and build are reallly impressive. Is there anything else i should take into consideration? Can anyone recommend anything else @ this price point that can compare? If it can cut as fast as advertised, I may do a few lawns in the sub with my newfound spare time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Would anyone advise against this?

/ Suggestions for new/first mower #7  
Yep, all the trade offs can make a head spin! I think you found a good machine for your tasks; that warranty is impressive.

As far as extra lawns [I doubt you'd have any insurance or licensing issues just for that, but thought I'd mention it too]: if you're talking about too much more than an acre total, I'm guessing you'd be better off with the IZT tranny (just my take from visual "gut", and considering the applications by the various mfgs when doing the research like you). More than a few acres; you're looking at machines with pumps and wheel motors.

Just to throw in info I think you already considered: in the same price range you might look at a CC ZForce44; this gets you the Kohler Command 20HP, IZT, and pivoting front axel [your ditch may leave that argued either way], but you get a stamped deck instead of fab [not a big issue if hard abuse is not a factor]....I think another thread mentioned these being backordered anyway......

Anyway, I think that mini would serve you very well....and maybe a couple other lawns to boot, but I'd still add up total area and se if it's close to spec. Even at that, I'd think worst case your "20 year machine" may start costing some repairs a little earlier.

BTW: I just realized your name says you don't like yardwork....thought perhaps you were a old CC [IH] fan! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Suggestions for new/first mower
If i did lawns, it would only be around the sub, so nothing over an acre, 95% are .75 acres. Did consider the Zforce. My wife's grandfather has one, and likes it alot. He actually is the one who convinced me to look at ZTR's. Not too informed on all the IZT vs. other stuff. I think the commercial machines have individual pumps for the hydros, but that is the limit of my knowledge. Anyone got a good WWW source of info to point me at? Thx

/ Suggestions for new/first mower #9  
Well, since no-one else suggested it. How about a garden tractor for the versatility. Snowblades, blowers, trailers...

A rule of thumb is that you can mow an acre an hour with a typical garden tractor, that puts you around 1/2 hour for your 1/2 acre lot. I've considered a ZTR but with my 2 acres, I'm mowing in about 2 hours or less.

Just some food for thought!

Good luck!
Curt

/ Suggestions for new/first mower #10  
On the transmissions, I don't know if IZT has been rerated since the EZT came out, but I think it was originally touted as 150ftlb; the EZT is 115ftlb; so the IZT is beefier...doesn't neccessarily mean it last longer, just gives me more of a "warm fuzzy". I'm also guessing it's no coincidence that most of the "consumer" units are <font color="red">EZT</font> while the "transition" units are <font color="red"> IZT</font>. <font color="red"> edit: had the two stated backwards </font>

hydrogear

Yep, all commercials I can think of have separate pump and wheel motor configurations.

The .75 acres of any of those lawns, wouldn't worry me unless "back to back to back" which might [I never did find info on this] demand better cooling than integrated can offer. Where it is of interest though: if you do 3 extra lawns, that cuts your expected life before a major expense [in years] to 1/4 of just your lawn (this assumes operating hours are the only factor). Maybe an issue, maybe not.