Hustler Engine Options

/ Hustler Engine Options #1  

pyedog

Tractor
Snapper 28" HiVac troublemaker
Even though it's more than I wanted to spend, I think I'm starting to lean toward the Hustler Mini Fastrac 36". I've got almost an acre of grass, but I have a fair number of scattered "obstacles".

My main goal is to get something I can keep a long while, and won't have to mess with too much.

The two main engine options seem to be the Kohler single cylinder 15hp, and the Honda 2 cylinder 16hp (which is $500 more). For almost the same price as the Honda engine I can upgrade to the Kohler single cylinder 17hp with a 42" deck, but I really don't need the extra 6" of deck.

What is the consensus for these 3 engine options? Is the Honda worth the extra $500, and how well will they be expected to last long term?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Jim

/ Hustler Engine Options #2  
IMHO:
I don't like the extra cost of the Honda engines. Even generators with Hondas are more expensive. And I have yet to learn of any object reasons for paying that much additional cost.

I do prefer the larger deck configuration because that has a short term and long term affect on my time spent cutting the grass. The larger the deck, the quicker it is to cut grass. That is until the deck is too large and cannot be driven quickly and around objects (through gates & between trees).

I use a 72 inch deck for my open spaces and a 44 inch for edging and going between trees.

/ Hustler Engine Options #3  
Jim

I am going on my fourth year with my Hustler Fastrak with the 18 hp Honda. It has about 250 hours on it at this point.

I know the Honda is more money, but it absolutely runs flawlessly at all times, and is exceptionally smooth to boot. No carburetion problems, hard starting, eractic idling etc, etc. ever. Seems like I am always dinking around with something on my Briggs and Kohler powerwed equipment. I can always rely on the Honda to just start and run like the day it was brought home.

Don't discount the advantages of the twins over the singles in term of smoothness. In my case, we use the Fastrak for hours at a time, and I wouldn't want to put up with the extra vibration from a single.

Thanks
Bill

/ Hustler Engine Options #4  
I don't know if it's worth $500, but, I've owned several pieces of equipment with Honda engines and they are VERY reliable. I have an old self propelled walk behind that is 20 years old and it starts first pull everytime. I've never done anything to the engine except maintenance in the 12 or so years I've had it. It was used as a rental mower before I got it, and I'm sure it wasn't cared for too much being a rental and still no problems what so ever.

/ Hustler Engine Options #5  
I opted not to spend the extra myself. Have a B&S on the old Snapper thats still running flawlessly after 20 years. So not realy that concerned about the Kohler. Hopefully it will do the trick. Seems to be plenty of power for the 36" fastrack. But I couldn't blame you if you chose to opt for it. They are good engines. When I was shopping around it was only a tad under 400 more for the 42" fastrack with 17HP Kohler. At least as I recall. I posted those prices somewhere in an earlier thread. I did not ask him to price the Honda for me. I had made up my mind not to spend the list 500 more for it so I never bothered to price it. And due to some other limitations both in storage and in obsticles I did not go up to the 42". There are places it would be nice. But others it would just not clear that dictated that choice. I don't realy feel that limited by the wide open spaces having to mow them with 6" less. I mean in the end its maybe like a few more passes to make that up. And since its quicker its not that noticable. And I can do spaces that I would have had to skip and weedeat out. So its a compromise that works for me.

/ Hustler Engine Options #6  
I have the 36" with the Kohler and should have gone with the 42" just for the better trim capabilities.
The 36" deck is even with the back tires so there is less trimming abilities.
As far as Kohler VS Honda..I like a honda engine but this is my first Kohler so time will tell if the Kohler will hold up like a Honda.