Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews?

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #11  
Ohhh BTW... if you perfer the garden tractor vs. a ZTR, I would look no further than a Kubota GR2100. This is a garden tractor that cuts corners almost as tight as a ZTR. It comes with a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel (will out last you probably! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and a 54" deck. Seems to be a top notch machine and can be had for around $7000. If you haven't seen them, do yourself a favor and visit Kubota.com and check them out.

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #12  
Look at this guide:

ZTR

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #13  
With a sixteen thousand dollar budget, check this out, I have one an love it...

http://www.steinerturf.com/products/tractors/230/

It's front wheel drive, rear steer, it's almost as manueverable as a ZTR, it's
biggest advantage over a ZTR, it can handle about 25 different attachments.
John Deere, New Holland and Kubota make similar turf tractors, not sure if
then off as wide a range of attachment...

Richard
West Michigan

Attachments

• 689932-Steiner Turf Tractor.jpg
    689932-Steiner Turf Tractor.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 847
   / Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #14  
I reccomend a Ventrac (for the attachments) or a Kubota F series foward deck.I just bought a F2100.I demo'd ZTR's and decided to go with the F2100 because with the deck out front and motor out the rear the mower rode better and had a better visability.The F2100 also has a right and left brake making it a close ZTR.With 4 wheel drive and the drive wheels in a more visable area wheel spin is kept to a minimum.I also prefer the tilt steering wheel to 2 joysticks for holding branches out of the way/holding a drink/picking up debris with a set of grabbers.If you buy a newer F sereis the are also a few attachments avaiable

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews?
Our lawn is fairly hilly and not golfcourse smooth, so a nice riding, fast and clean cutting mower that isn't going to get stuck on the hills would be nice. Most of the real wheel driver mowers we have had have a difficult time on parts of our lawn.

We have thought about it, and we probably won't get a deck over 60 or so inches because of scalping concerns. Attachments might be good for a snow blower...

Any additional thoughts would certainly be appreciated!
Thanks!

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #16  
Send Bob Skurka a PM. He should be able to give you some good advice on this machine.

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #17  
I just upgraded by mowing gear from a 25hp/48" LT to a used, commercial grade ZTR with 60" fab deck, and you'll be very happy with the change. My mowing time was reduced from 4 sweaty hrs to less than 2 fun hours on 3 semi-wooded acres. The cut quality is also much better and lasts longer with the high-lift of the deep deck on the zt. I'm very glad I got a heavy duty, fabricated deck since I've banged tree roots, fence posts and small stumps that would damage the guide wheels on the LT. Additionally, I spent a lot of time maintaining the LT - leveing, sharpening and scraping the deck - but the ZT remains clean even with slightly wet grass.

The one thing I can say is I'm also glad I got a heavy unit with bigger (24") tires, since I need max traction on my slopes particularly on wet grass. Its easy to spin these larger tires even with this heavy machine, and I think I may have gotten stuck with a lighter, residential unit with smaller tires.

The other thing is look for a floating deck with as many guide wheels as possible to prevent scalping. My unit has a wide nose roller and 2 adjustable side rollers on the front, and a long roller on the back with another 2 side rollers. This really helps prevent scalping on my non-smooth terrain. The ZT rollers are also heavy duty, which is key since I replaced my LT nose roller once, and two side rollers bent from assorted impacts. These rollers laugh at that stuff!

The only other thing you may want is a floating front axle. Mine does pivot which helps on the rougher stuff, but is no "IS" like the Ferris units.

Finally, you may consider a good quality used unit for $3-4K rather than $7-8 for a new unit. Given how fast this thing cuts, and that it has limited application to other jobs, I'm looking at 60hrs per year on a unit that should go a couple 1000. Savings will go to sub-cut tractor with FEL in my case, but looks like you have that covered.

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews?
Gravski,

Thanks for the great post. I was hoping somone with a ZTR would respond with what they thought the features and benefits were to look for. I'm just starting looking into these and really don't have much of a clue yet.

What make and model did you end up purchasing?

Do you know if any of the ZTR's have a mulching feature on the deck, or is this basically a waste of time?

What exactly is a floating front axle? What units have this feature? Is this the same as the IS on the Ferris (and Simplicity, I'm told)?

Thanks!!

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #19  
Get a Ferris IS1500 for $5,500.(48 deck, 21HP Kawasaki) The suspension makes this unit stand out over other similar models.

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #20  
I looked at everything that was convenient around here - Exmark, Scag, Hustler, Gravely, Bobcat, JD, Simplicity. I was leaning toward the Gravely Commercial series based on comparison of specs/price if I had to buy new, but the more things I needed to have - deep fab deck, big tires, etc. put the price out of reach. If budget was not an issue, I would have gone for an Exmark or Scag, probaby with a 48-52" deck given some of my obstacles. Around here, Exmarks are used by the majority of commercial mowers and their results (cut and all day durability) are hard to argue with.

That said, I shopped the local papers and ebay and eventually purchased a used Lesco Viper 60" deck, 23 hp kawasaki. Not a top-tier unit and probably made by someone else, it does have a heavy fab deck with reinforcement, 24" rear tires, bigger casters, hydrogear pumps, and just all around heavy construction relative to the residentials and much heavier duty than my Craftsman DYT4000. Price was half of a new unit and comparable to residentials which I concluded wouldnt work for my situation (slopes, uneven terrain, stumps, roots, etc).

Like the Gravely's, it has a pivoting front axle which can be locked out (fixed) if you have smooth terrain, but does not compare to Simplicity/Ferris' that have spring/shocks on the fronts. I have not tried these so can't speak to the capabilities, but frankly my ZT is smoother at even higher speeds than my LT, perhaps due to larger tires alone (24" ZTR vs 20" LT) in the rear (my LT also has ag tires for added traction on my lot, though). A much nicer seat also helps the ZT ride.

I think most decks on ZTs float, and you'll see them hanging on chains or linkages that give on bumps, and then the deck rides on the anti-scalp wheels. This is not like the Simplicity's where they ride full time on a full length roller. A Gravely/Simplicity dealer recommended the Simp for rougher terrain, but I couldnt see the stamped deck and the Simplicity rear roller holding up on my terrain. I love the striping you can get with Simplicity, but I am happy with my choice. Some decks are more rigidly fixed to the frame (like my LT) that don't deflect, and then you get hung up on some spots.

All in all, the ZT is a lot of fun, and despite all the tuning on my craftsman (leveling, sharpening/gatorblades, cleaning deck) the cut is just smoother, lasts longer and achieved with a lot less time/sweat. Don't know if I would spend more in my case, since I need a Kubota BX23 and instead of a new ZT would have got the 60" deck with the BX and made due. Just have a lot of obstacles in my yard which is perfect for a ZTR. Its fun in itself, but perhaps more fun when I realize how long the same job would have taken with the LT. Its the perfect tool for the job, it just doesnt have any other application.