Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews?

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #1  

Dustin

Tractor
Kubota M5700, Cockshutt 30, John Deere L110, Kubota ZD25
With the big tractor purchase out of the way, I'm now looking to upgrade my John Deere L110.

The L110 was a "had-to-do-it" purchase. Our old hydrostatic Honda 13HP riding mower of 15 years expired in dramatic fashion and the Home Chepo mower was a quick fix. The L110 isn't a very good mower compared to the old Honda though.

I'm having the most difficult time finding information and reviews on small (15HP - 30HP) lawn mowers.

We have about 3 acres of mowed lawn and are tired of spending 4 or more hours a week on the JD riding mower. It doesn't run well, doesn't cut too well, steers hard, and rides like a brick. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are looking at a few Kubota machines, but how do they stack up against Ferris, Hustler, Dixie Chopper, Yazoo, larger JD riding mowers, Massey, or New Holland small tractors, etc.?

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dustin

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #2  
Of the names you mentioned, my choice would be the ZD21, of course I'm and orange kind of guy. Nothing else in the Zero Turn line is built like the ZD, look at the drive system, no hoses or fittings underneath, hyd deck lift, check out all the features and I think you'll agree. It won't ride like a brick either, but it sure is built as solid as one. You'll cut down on fuel used and buy yourself a lot of time since you'll spend a lot less time mowing.

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #3  
Dustin, maybe your question is too broad. Are you interested in gas or diesel engine, lawn tractor, garden tractor, or ZTR mower? What price range and what width cut do you want?

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #4  
BIRD asked some very good questions, but i would like to ask 1 more, WHAT is your limit on price?

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #5  
OPPS re-read Birds post and saw he already asked the price question. sorry /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews?
Bird, thanks for your response. I suppose I should try and narrow it down. I have a 48" mower in my little JD, and I was thinking of going to something between 55" and 65".

I don't really have a preference for gas or diesel. I like the idea of the ZTR's, but am not adverse to a garden tractor or a lawn tractor. It really comes down to price. I don't want to spend more than $16,000.

What do you think? Thanks!

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #7  
Dustin, with that kind of budget, I'd be looking at a 60", or maybe even a 72", commercial grade ZTR, depending on the terrain. I'm sure you already know that a wider deck is more likely to scalp the tops of any hills or humps. My own experience with a ZTR is the opposite end of the scale with the smallest, cheapest Toro and it's great for my use; small yards, flat ground, but very poor traction on wet ground and I don't think it would be very good on much of a slope. But as with most ZTRs, it'll do a good job of mowing, even at high speeds. I doubt that you'd go wrong with any of the commercial grade machines, including the ones you mentioned as well as the Scag and Toro. Of course that Kubota ZD would definitely be in the running, but I think it just boils down to the one you like best.

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #8  
I recently purchased a 322D 61" Grasshopper that has a 22hp Kubota diesel. It is a nice machine, I spent 1.5hrs yesterday doing what used to take 8hrs on a 38" Snapper.
Going with a commercial grade ZTR is a good investment.
I now have lots more time to do other projects.

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews?
I'd prefer to not spend top dollar just because. If one mower at $7000 is very similiar to another priced at $14,000, then I'd be happy with the less expensive version.

Does anyone have an opinion on a front mounted deck verses a mid-mount deck.

Thanks!

/ Zero-turn or riding lawn mower reviews? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't really have a preference for gas or diesel. I like the idea of the ZTR's, but am not adverse to a garden tractor or a lawn tractor. It really comes down to price. I don't want to spend more than $16,000.)</font>

WOW! With that kind of budget I assure you you'll be happy with whatever you get. Any ZTR is going to be less than your max price. I would look at a diesel machine with about a 60" deck. There are tons of them out there.. but I would recommend GrassHopper, Dixie Chopper, Kubota, Exmark, and Ferris. That is just a handful... shop around and see what suits you best!

Good luck.