Residental ZTR

/ Residental ZTR #1  

professor

Gold Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 416S John Deere LX280, John Deere Z225 zero turn yanmar 1401 , Oliver 550 Special, Oliver 75 Lawn Tractor, New Holland 3930 4WD, Mitsubishi BDF2 Dozer
I have approx. four acres with two acres open the other has fruit trees etc. I have a tractor and five foot finishing mower and it is great for the open area but getting around the trees takes a long time. I am considering a residental ZTR. I don't want to go the commercial route because of the money. I have noticed some going for $3000-4000 range. I appreciate any recommendations as to which brand is the best for this money. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Residental ZTR #2  
I can't tell you which brand is "best"; just like I can't tell you which tractor brand is "best". There are lots of "good" ones available. My little Toro is only 11 months old, but I paid $200 less than the website price (another thing I like about their website is including prices) and so far all I've done to it is change oil. And I'm mowing every 3 or 4 days with it.

/ Residental ZTR #3  
I'm making the assumptions that you're planning to continue doing perhaps 80% [by area, not current time] with the tractor and that you don't have areas rough enough to beat up a frame.

Those two being true I'd say you are making a good decision and any ZTR would be fine.

I do have to wonder if you wouldn't be looking at about the same money and saving some time by selling the finish mower and going with a commercial Z [aside from the higher speeds than a consumer ZTR it'll have a heavier deck if you have some abusive areas, larger tires for better ride, etc.], but really think you're situation should be fine either way. Of course, this puts you into 5K machines, which is hard pressed for a true commercial machine too.

Anyway, for focusing on trees, the learning curve may be easier if you go with the largest deck offset [deck outside of left wheelbase] you can find. Or you may even consider a used front mount, but around here they can be beat to crap and still bring your 4K.

Many really good machines out there and you probably can't go too wrong. Between the 3 and 4K machines, you'll likely find a heavier frame, maybe "heavier" or "smoother" engine, and heavier transmissions <font color="red"> in the 4K machines</font>.

Happy Shopping! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="red"> edit </font>

/ Residental ZTR #4  
You cant go wrong with the Dixon ZTR. Call Greg in Central Ky at 270-524-0385 or email him at glsweet@scrtc.com and he will fix you up with a good product in your price range. I am prettty sure he can ship to your door----Ken Sweet

/ Residental ZTR #5  
Most opinions for a relatively inexpensive but good quality residential ZTR point to the Airens 1742. They're well built with good engine and deck and fit right into your budget.

/ Residental ZTR #6  
professor, If you have a gravely dealer near by ,another one you could look at is the 2148, It is a residential unit with a commercial frame pretty beefy.
I haven't tried one but have seen them up close and in person. The price if I remember /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif is around $4200 a little over the ole budget. It may be overkill for your needs but it might be just right for your wants /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll bet you if you get a ZTR you will quit using your tractor for the open areas "zoom zoom zoom" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Residental ZTR #7  
So far I am really happy with my Hustler mini fastrak. $2999 for the 36" with Kohler one I got and I believe it was 3399 for the 42" one with the bigger Kohler. I like it real good so far.

/ Residental ZTR #8  
Prof;
I strongly encourage you to consider a front mount deck machine. Like you, I have fruit trees to mow around as well as evergreens with low hanging branches, and trellised grape vines to reach under. Though I've never tried mowing MY acreage with a mid mount ZTR, I know it would be impossible to reach many of the areas I previously could only do by using a weed wacker, but now do with the front mount.

Jim S.