Rebuilding a junker - worth the time & money?`

/ Rebuilding a junker - worth the time & money?` #1  

BlueRidge

Silver Member
Since neither time nor money are plentiful around here, I need some advice. I have about 2/3 acre to mow, and somehow the idea of doing that with a walk behind just doesn't appeal to me. Not that it can't be done, but....

So I came across a steal of a deal. I think. A used, and inoperative, Murray with a 12.5 horse engine and a 36" deck. The previous owners found it sitting in their yard when they bought a house, and it was not working then. They scavanged the front wheels for a garden cart, and I got the rest for free.

It doesn't have any OBVIOUS problems except the lack of front wheels and one flat rear tire. (Big nail in the middle of the tread.)

I'm mechanically inclined but have never worked on a riding mower before, or any other small engines.

It could be anything from JUST the flat tire to a completely seized engine for all I know.

So, where to start? Buy some wheels and fix the flat and go from there? Sell it for parts and buy a new/used one that runs?

Any suggestions?

/ Rebuilding a junker - worth the time & money?` #2  
I'd first see if I could get it running. Maybe take it to a small engine shop for a diagnosis? Then, and only then, would I worry about the rest.

/ Rebuilding a junker - worth the time & money?` #3  
If it was only money being short, not time too; I'd say try to get it started and go from there [given the time, I'd do that anyway: maybe fix, maybe part out, more likely "get creative"].

A 12.5 X 36, you should be able to find lawn ready for around $100 or $200 though [maybe $750 brand new?]. Unless you find another junker; I just can't see the parts $$$ coming out ahead of a used one (needing, at most, an oil and air filter change for labor at that).

Good Luck!!

/ Rebuilding a junker - worth the time & money?` #4  
Just my .02, I'm an automotive instructor/technician,and now they call me engineer(something to do with staying in a Holiday Inn Express) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I went through a phase where my desire to do the cheap thing, went too far. When I moved to Georgia, I rented a house on 2ac that I was expected to mow. No problem except I didnt have a mower. I acquired 3 old Snapper riders ( I hear their great). Of the three I got one to run for a couple of months, untill the crankcase developed a leak from corrosion. None of them had a decent deck, they were all rusted through.For some reason, with all the hi tech stuff I'm used to, I still couldnt get these things to run properly. Not saying you wouldnt have better luck, but it really depends on what your starting with. I wasted more time and money messing with junk than I did mowing. My recommendation is to see if its simple. With the 1st problem, I would part it out or sell it and get a running one. Like was mentioned, there are relatively inexpensive mowers out there.Good luck.

/ Rebuilding a junker - worth the time & money?` #5  
As far as time goes, if you can share the experience with a child, it is definitely a chance for some quality time, and a bonding experience, but for all I know you are a happy bachelor. As for money. I wouldn't spend a cent on tires or cosmetics until I figured out if the engine was repairable. Checking for compression would be my first priority. If you have compression, then there is a chance you can fix it for under $100. The 4 things required are fuel, air, compression and spark, with compression usually the most expensive to repair. No compression, then it it's probably only worth what ever you can get for parts.

/ Rebuilding a junker - worth the time & money?`
Gentlemen, sounds like good advice. I had been thinking I needed to deal with the tires (like to make it moveable!), but looking for major problems FIRST makes more sense.

FWIW, I do have 4 boys (12 down to 4) who would LOVE to 'help' me with this project, and that would be a good thing. If it's borderline, that will tip the balance.

Thanks for the input!
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Rebuilding a junker - worth the time & money?` #7  
No dought I would see it the motor will run before I did anything else to it.

I would suggest starting by turning it over to make sure it isn't locked up. If it spins, I'd start with draining any old gas in it. Refill with new gas, clean the spark plug(s) and maybe hit it with a shot of starter fluid. Then go from there! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That wouldn't take much time and that might be all it needs. Also make sure the oil level is ok... some will not start if it doesn't have enough in it.

/ Rebuilding a junker - worth the time & money?` #8  
Check the motor, drive train, Deck , in that order if all are ok then the mower will be worth salvaging. If you have to pay someone to fix it, it can rapidly become a money hole and you wind up having half or more in it as a new el-cheapo mower would cost.

One thing you will need 2 wheels/tires for the front and probably a new battery right off the bat($20). Does the starter crank ? A starter is about $125 new. The flat tire on the rear will likely require a tube, $8-15.....New blades ? ABOUT $15-20. Deck belt ok ? if not about $25. Lots of variables here, but the costs can add up quick, or you could get lucky.

Ben