jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR

/ jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Ok, was looking at a Scag Tiger cub, 48" deck, 19 hp kawasaki for 6k.

Came across a Jacobson 58" deck 23 hp Kawasaki for $7700. Jacobson looked liked a "tuff" machine.

Any feedback on the Jacobson line?

On that note, came across a JD737, 58" deck, 23hp Kawasaki for $7300. The JD may actually be a better bargin, but not sure of the quality of the JD ztr line.

Bottom line, is the scag tiger cub the "best buy" for 6K?

The wildcat was going for $8500 and 6k was my "original " budget (scag dealer told me that the tiger cub was scags "loss leader" into the market).

From my previous post, have at least 5 acres of lwan with over 40 trees to mow. Been using my neighbors 25hp, 60" simplicity, and works pretty well.

It was easier "picking" my wife /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any comments welcome.

Thks

/ jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR #2  
Jacobson builds fine mowers, but lately the parts have been slow coming in the proffesional line. Golf course and athletic field managers have been steering away from Jacobson for a while now. I still think they are a good machine, just make sure of the parts situation.

/ jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It was easier "picking" my wife

)</font>

That's funny!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
...but I know where your coming from.
I bought the Scag wildcat a little over a year ago. It's Awesome. So, my opinion is a wee bit tainted. But I do think the Scag Turf Tiger is the best 6k ZTR out there.

I recently met a fellow who works in a shop that sells both Exmark and Scag ZTR's. He bouoght a Scag. He did say he thought Scag and Exmark were the top two ZTR manufactorers.

Sorry, no info on the Jacobson ZTR's

/ jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR #4  
Oh yeah, (continued from previous post).... I believe the Turf Tiger is the loss leader, so no dickering much on the price, but the wildcat was priced at 81 in April 04, but I got it for 75 out the door.

I tried to edit the previous post, but the text would all change to red. Don't know why. I think that makes it harder to read, so I just added this post.

/ jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR
Moon

From the dealer that I talked to, the tiger cub was the "loss leader" at 6k.

I asked about the "next step" up, and the wildcat that he priced me was around $8,500. Hard for me to justify that extra $2500.

As of now, with my knowledge (sp?), the variables that I look at are HP, Deck size, Gauge of Deck, belt or shaft driven.

Not sure on some of the other factors.

Just say the heck with it and buy 10 goats! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR #6  
My uncle has a Tiger Cub 44" with a 20hp Kohler. It is about 5 years old and has about 300hrs on it. It has performed for him flawless. I used it to mow a little while I was as his land and that machine is a hoss! I was amazed at how quick and easily it handled one foot tall grass. He lives in a rural area and wanted to buy something he could get serviced locally and the Scag was about his only choice. That said.. I'm not sure he could have done any better. The Scag is a quality mower that is built to last. He told me he paid about $5800 when he bought it new.

/ jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR
DmansPadge

Thanks for the input. Guess what I'm scared about the Tiger Cub is is the HP.

With some hills, and if the grass gets a "little longer" than normal (and perhaps wet), I'm hoping that if I go with the 19 HP it will be "enough machine" to make easy cutting.

/ jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( With some hills, )</font>

Sigarms,

Don't know how big/steep your hills are but which ever mower you pick, you may want the sale qualified with the fact that it needs to be at your place and mow at least once to complete the deal.

I thought I was sold on a particular mower but when it was brought to my place for a demo, it couldn't handle the hills. When going sideways across the hill, the front end kept sliding down the hill. I had to pass on that one.

Brian

/ jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR #9  
If you want to weigh all you mowing options, give my son a call at 270-524-0385 or email him at glsweet@scrtc.com . He can save you some money on a good Commercial Grade mower and I am pretty sure he can ship to your door--Ken Sweet

/ jacobson vrs scag (and JD) ZTR #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( From the dealer that I talked to, the tiger cub was the "loss leader" at 6k. )</font>

Opps, I think I got my models mixed up. Tiger cub probably is the loss leader at 6k. Sorry for the mixup.

Mine is 27hp, so it might not be a fair comparison, but higher thicker grass does not affect it. And it does not clump the grass near as much as other mowers I've used on the same property. I believe this is due to the high speed blade rotation. Mention your hp concerns to the dealer, maybe he'll let you try one out one your property before you sign on the dotted line.