how often do you sharpen your blades?

/ how often do you sharpen your blades? #1  

Mojoman

Bronze Member
I've only mowed with my CC 2166 only around 5-6 maybe 7 times, and I've noticed that when mowing at about the same speed as when it was new, that I am now getting a strip of grass on the discharge side that isn't be cut as cleanly as before. I don't remember hitting anything, well, maybe a few small sticks here and there, but are my blades due for a sharpening? I removed the mulch plug and have been side discharging to see if it's the plug causing the problem, but it hasn't up to this point. I've had to really slow down quite a bit to get a clean cut, but maybe it's also attributed to what I'm cutting? My lawn has become a clover field, and it seems to be worse with clover than with grass, but it still does it a little when I'm cutting only grass. Any ideas?

/ how often do you sharpen your blades? #2  
Maybe blades, but I wonder if your deck just needs a good cleaning. If the blade is skimming just under packed grass, you may not get enough "stand" to make a good cut.

Good Luck!

/ how often do you sharpen your blades?
sorry, forgot to include that the deck has been cleaned pretty often, maybe every 2 or 3 mows..... certainly something to check before my next mow however.

/ how often do you sharpen your blades? #4  
Inspect the blade on the side that is not cutting properly and compare it to the blade on the other side. Sharpen if needed. Sticks can dull blades pretty fast.

Also some brands of blades are harder than others and keep their edge better. I usually sharpen my blades at the beginning of the cutting season and about now.

Ben

/ how often do you sharpen your blades? #5  
So you're saying that you sharpen your blades at start of season and now in the middle, so you sharpen blades two or three times a season. I noticed that my blades were also getting dull. Are the OEM blades that you buy better than the blades that come on Garden Tractor? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ how often do you sharpen your blades? #6  
Mojoman,

I have a Toro Wheelhorse 520XI with a 60" deck. I mow 3 acres of tall fescue grass once a week. In the spring when the ground is still moist I normally clean my deck right after I mow. The wet grass in the spring really sticks to the underside of the deck. I drive my 520XI up on car ramps and use the garden hose to spray the wet grass off of the deck. In the summer when there are drier conditions I usually clean my deck after every 4th or 5th time I mow.

I grease my deck spindles and wheels after every 25 hours of mowing. This is when I sharpen my blades. I normally just have to re-edge them. It takes about 5 minutes per blade. I cut grass from April right up through the first of November. Usually I'm just cutting/chopping up leaves in November. So, I sharpen my blades 3-4 times a year.

arthurb,

/ how often do you sharpen your blades?
It sounds like they're about due then. I've put about 30 hrs on the machine so far. Had a really wet spring, was mowing about 2x a week. I'll take 'em off this weekend and check them. Thanks.

/ how often do you sharpen your blades? #8  
Yes I sharpen all my mower blades at least 2 times a season, they probably need it 3 times, but I usually don't get time for the extra sharpening. Sharp blades are better for the lawn and it's looks, and do not put as much load on the rest of the mower.

As to whether the OEM blades you buy are better or not...Well it is sort of a toss-up, Manufacturers change vendors from time to time so you really don't know what you are getting. The ones that came on the machine might be better than the replacements or visa-versa.
Now you might get some stability of quality if you buy aftermarket blades such as Gator Blades. I have heard they are good, but never tried them.

Ben

/ how often do you sharpen your blades? #9  
Gators are ok for leaves , but I put them on a Deere to find they leave a streak of grass right down the middle of where the deck has run. Makes no difference wet or dry. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ how often do you sharpen your blades? #10  
I have a CC1863 with 54" 3 blade deck..I put new Gators on it this spring..they do such a nice job I haven't taken them off.I only mow about 2 acres about once every week or two.My old blades I used to sharpen 1-2 times a year.