Rider won't start...

/ Rider won't start... #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
Rider won\'t start...

I have a (no howling!!) 2000 model Scotts 1642 which has a single cylinder 16Hp Kohler, and is a hydro. When I turn the key ON, I hear the fuel solenoid click. The starter solenoid isn't getting power to energize it. I ran a hot lead to it and the engine started and ran fine, with lights running as they should.

I have had an issue for some time getting it to start that was remedied by jiggling the pto lever, there is a safety switch underneath that engages with the pto lever off. I checked to see if it was being depressed and it seemed fine, I even wedged it tighter and no change.

This and the brake switch are double pole, am guessing one side is NO the other NC.

What should I check next? Is there a procedure for checking the safety switches?

/ Rider won't start... #2  
Re: Rider won\'t start...

Get a meter and check they all switch, check all connections. Does the solenoid switch? If it does but no power disassemble and clean inside. If not chase the power around with a meter, through the switches. Another thing to do is to bypass all the safety switches to eliminate that.
If you get bored or find a bad problem get a wire and connect the + on the battery to the solenoid to a press switch and back to earth on the frame. Then when you turn the ingtition on and press the switch the started runs. You could also connect it to the key switch if you want to, but the other way you get push button starting. This way you also bypass the safety switches.

/ Rider won't start... #3  

<font color="green"> (no howling!!) </font>

I thought "Nothing runs like a Deere?" /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mith gave you some good advice; not that I would know what to do but it just sounds good. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Rider won't start... #4  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I ran a hot lead to it and the engine started and ran fine, with lights running as they should.)</font>

Was anything else running (that shouldn't have been)? If so, that may establish if one of the safety switches is activated as well as which switch.

/ Rider won't start...

Thanks Guys!! I had been operating under 'keep everything running in safety mode'. Trouble is, they hide everything to keep you from working on it (these are cheapie, almost throw away rigs...)

Mith gave me a great idea, as part of the problem is that I need this running NOW. So I put a jumper on to the starter solenoid (effectively bypassing all the safety switches) to get going. It is running now, with clear instruction to the operators to make aure that the pto is OFF and the parking brake is ON before starting it. I will continue to track down the switch because I want it to be safe.

Now I said it is throw away, but actually this has been a very good unit for me. Of course I realize it isn't the best, and treat it with caution, maybe that is why it has held up so well.

I'll bet the safety setup is better on better units, though. The switches are in hard to get places, that are also exposed to lots of dirt and debris.

Someday I will have a little diesel saetup, but for know, the Kohler is out cutting....

/ Rider won't start... #6  

The reason I sound like I know what im doing is I did it to a TORO Wheelhorse Rider a few weeks ago. Got bored in the end of looking for fauls, more than I could cound so I just rewired it, took about an hour and she worked good when the guy took it back /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Glad youre back up.

On a side note one of my mowers has a bad solenoid that I havent got round to fixing for 6 months since it broke I just start it with a srewdrive across the terminals. Doesnt take much longet than starting it on the key /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Rider won't start...

If you only could see where they hid the solenoid!! For that matter all the switches.

My teenage daughters mow with this machine, and I wast it to be safe, so I will stick at it and get them fixed, but your idea has me up'n'running for now.. Thanks!!

Hope you are having a nice summer on your side of the pond!