Lawn Mower Front tires

/ Lawn Mower Front tires #1  

tomnky

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
I have a John Deere GT242.

The front tires on it are Dico Turf Trac R/S 2 ply ( inner tubes installed after the fact)that originally came on the mower but are pretty well worn. The size on it is 15x6.00x6.

I intend to put the Multi Trac C/S 4 ply on as replacements , because the rounded shoulder on the others do not hold very well on a hill using the bagger with front suitcase weights.

My question is this: What do most run on the front end of these mowers? Which tread design do You prefer?

Carlisle bought Dico and I think apparently are entwined in some manner with Titan, Are there any other brands one should consider?
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lawn Mower Front tires #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a John Deere GT242.
The front tires on it are Dico Turf Trac R/S 2 ply ( inner tubes installed after the fact)that originally came on the mower but are pretty well worn. The size on it is 15x6.00x6.
I intend to put the Multi Trac C/S 4 ply on as replacements , because the rounded shoulder on the others do not hold very well on a hill using the bagger with front suitcase weights.
)</font>
======================
The front tires on my PowerCraft are Carlisle 15x6.00x6 turfs.
I am replaceing them with Carlisle 14x4.50x6 Super lugs.

/ Lawn Mower Front tires
I am taking My wheels to get the Multi Trac c/s mounted today the final cost is about $71.00 mounted , tax & all.

The tires themselves are $26.00 each + $7.00 each to mount( I tried that once, never again!)

/ Lawn Mower Front tires #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am taking My wheels to get the Multi Trac c/s mounted today the final cost is about $71.00 mounted , tax & all.
The tires themselves are $26.00 each + $7.00 each to mount( I tried that once, never again!)
*** )</font>
========
Did they get these installed OK for you?
I just installed the 14 x 4.5 x 6 super lug tires on the front of my MTD today.
Had to buy new rims because the rims I had were to wide for the super lugs. Had one heck of a time finding rims that would fit the lug tires and still work on the MTD.
Finally located a couple of rims but had to do some improvising to make them fit the tires and the MTD axles.

/ Lawn Mower Front tires
Yep, they put them on in about 20 minutes, with My old tubes in them as well.

Ready for another 10 or 12 years use. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lawn Mower Front tires #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The tires themselves are $26.00 each + $7.00 each to mount( I tried that once, never again!))</font>

Man,
$7.00 to mount. That's e x p e n s i v e ! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But, the hassle of mounting the small tires; even that is a bargain!

/ Lawn Mower Front tires #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Man,
$7.00 to mount. That's e x p e n s i v e ! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )</font>
-------- <font color="red"> ---------- </font> ----------
The nice thing about the bolt together rims that I used is you don't have to take them anywhere to have tires mounted.
Mounted the tires my self in about 20 minutes.

/ Lawn Mower Front tires #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yep, they put them on in about 20 minutes, with My old tubes in them as well.

Ready for another 10 or 12 years use. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>
=========
Why are you using tubes in them . Aren't they tubless tires?

I bought a cheep $9.00 wheel borrow tire and put on the old 66 Bolens.

/ Lawn Mower Front tires
My experience with two and four ply small dimension tires on lawn mowers, utility carts, wheelbarrows is that they tend to leak air, sometimes through the sidewall.

I put tubes in them to save having to air up the tires all the time, it works for me .

$7.00 to mount the tires on the rims is cheap for the hassle of trying to change these Myself, tried it one time- No More!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif