Help starting a brand new Diesel

/ Help starting a brand new Diesel #1  

gmason

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC35D4
Hello all, I just pick-up a new Genset with a Yanmar Y-100 Deisel V-2 engine. And I can't get this brand new, never been run before engine to fire up. I don't believe there was ever fuel in the engine before, the tank and fuel filter looks perfectly clean.

The engine turns over very nicely, and I have cranked it off the electric starter at 15sec intervals for 10-15 times. I don't get any black or grey smoke from the exhaust. I can see that there is diesel in the filter.

Are there any tips to starting a new deisel?
BTW there doesn't appear to be any pre heating of the plugs option. But the temp here is plenty warm.

any help is appreciated
thanks
gary

/ Help starting a brand new Diesel #2  
Gary
I'm sure you need to bleed all air out of the pump and injectors. I don't know how to bleed a Yanmar though./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I hope you got a manual with your new generator./w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Help starting a brand new Diesel #3  
Check to see if there's a manual fuel shutoff (red knob?)
Make sure that's in the right position. Most Yanmars have two 10mm/phillips bleeders at the fuel filter and one at the fuel line going into the injection pump. Start with the one closest to the fuel tank and crack open one at atime till steady fuel/no air comes out. Make sure there's no "secret" fuel shutoff anywhere. Give that a shot.

/ Help starting a brand new Diesel
Thanks all, I checked the fuel line and no check/shutoff valve. I did end up removing the injector line from the fuel pump and found a little check valve there that had some grease on it. I cleaned it up and turned the engine over a few times with the line open and fuel started streaming out of the port. I put the check valve back in and tightened everything again and turned the engine over and it fired right away.
I let it run about 20 minutes, then turned it off for about 30 minutes then I cranked it with the pull starter and it fired right up.
Looks like a combination of air and a little grease was my problem. All's great now.
thanks
gary