Tree Pruning

/ Tree Pruning #1  

Gomez

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400
Is there a proper time of year to prune trees? I thought fruit trees should be pruned in the spring, and other trees didn't matter as much.

/ Tree Pruning #2  
Gomez, I've always heard that trees should be pruned in the winter when the sap's down, or late fall when the sap's falling. Personally, I prune them when I see limbs I don't like or they're in the way./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Tree Pruning #3  
Just like Bird said, the best time is late winter.

I also agree with him to trim as you see fit. Just don't trim the tree back to much during the summer. The leaking sap could attract insects which could harm the tree.

Check your local Extension Office to see if they have any information or classes. We took one a few years back and it has helped in keeping the trees trimmed properly. Each fruit type has different needs and growth patterns which you need to know.

If they only had a class on keeping the varmints away.....

Terry

/ Tree Pruning #4  
The rule for oak trees is to prune before April 1 and after they drop their leaves in the fall. Oak wilt disease will enter easier on fresh wounds within this growth period, apparently, and this can cause the tree to die in a very short time. Pruning all trees just before the sap runs in the Spring will minimize the drying of the cambium layer (just under the bark), thus shortening the time that the wound will heal around the stub. But if doing many trees, this timing isn't practical, so during the winter is the best general rule.

/ Tree Pruning #5  
Here is a link to a great online how to prune a tree. http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_prune/prun001.htm

Here is a link to all the other on line pubs, its your tax dollars at work. Some really GREAT information on this site.http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/fth_pub.htm

Hope this helps
Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

/ Tree Pruning #6  
If you have trees susceptible to Oak Wilt be sure to treat pruned areas IMMEDIATELY with a good spray on pruning sealer.

Maury Jacobs