Briggs versus Kohler.....

/ Briggs versus Kohler..... #1  

garchib

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST, Craftsman YS4500
For years I heard that Kohler was a superior motor to Briggs. Now I am hearing the opposite.....Did Kohler blow it on the newer Courage and Command (I think that is the name) engines ? I am toying with buying a new, small lawn tractor and it looks like other than Cub Cadet, Kohlers are hard to get on the smaller tractors. Even Sears has limited offerings in a Kohler engine. It used to be that Sears lawn & garden tractors were "great bang for the buck". Is this still true ?

/ Briggs versus Kohler..... #2  
From my standpoint, if I have a choice on a machine to order either a B&S or a Kohler I would choose the Kohler every day. I guarantee you we do 10 B&S warranties for every one we do for Kohler...I really think the Kohler is that much better. Just my opinion from my experience.

Of course the throw away "courage" motors are nothing to write home about, but it is what it is, a cheap economical single cylinder motor.

/ Briggs versus Kohler..... #3  
Well i have a sears 18 hp GT for 13 years now, won't even beging to guess how many hours on it, it has the BS twin and have had no problems at all with it. would i buy another ? YEP!!!!!!!

/ Briggs versus Kohler..... #4  
I think it depends on which B&S engine you are talking about. The Vanguards are pretty good (at least the one that I have). The best engines on the market are the probably the red top Honda engines. Although very pricey, everything about them (pistons, rings, etc.) is first class. I would be a little suspicious about the blue top Honda engines sold at Lowes. They seem to be more targeted at the consumer vice commercial market.

/ Briggs versus Kohler.....
.....How about the Kohler Command engine ? I see no mention of it.....Is this a better engine than the Courage ? Thx

/ Briggs versus Kohler..... #6  
If you can go by the company they keep, start looking at what brands/series motors are being used in the 'prosumer' and commercial lawn & garden tractors, riding mowers, and big walk-behinds.

Kawasaki seems to be the most common oem for the top-end (air-cooled) machines, but Kohlers find their way into some pretty expensive equipment by some respected mfgs. Don't actually see Honda used very often in anything with more than single-digit hp applications.

I've got a Kohler Command 16 horse single in our new Deere LT160, and so far so good but it's really too new to tell.

There is also a Kohler "Command Pro" line, but I haven't found anything to say they're any different internally from the regular Command units, they just seem to include more sophisticated dual-stage air cleaners, they have oil coolers and bigger sumps. (All good for longevity).

/ Briggs versus Kohler..... #7  
I had a Kohler Command 15.5hp engine in my 97 Craftsman which died on me. After haggling with Sears I got a new one under warranty after the expiration of the warranty.

This type of service earned my future business if I go this route. I really think I just got a lemon because it took over 2 years for the engine to develop it's issues.

The new 16hp Kohler Command in my tractor (5years running) is flawless. I'd get another one without hesitation.

B/S is also a great engine IMO. Many friends have them and don't hate them.

/ Briggs versus Kohler..... #8  
Both briggs and kohler make engines that will last a long time. Much of the 'problems' arise on the larger displacement vertical shaft engines of both makers. Vertical shaft engines are much more sensative to proper oil level as the oil sump can easily leak into the cylinder(s). Vert. shaft OHV engines also tend to be more prone to valve cover leaks as the heads are postitioned low as compared to an 'upright' horizontal shaft engine. FWIW- I love the kohler command 20 in my cub cadet 2544.
G/luck
Joel

/ Briggs versus Kohler..... #9  
I've never owned a Kohler. I've had many B&S and Hondas. I've never had an engine problem with anything I've ever owned. Any trouble I had were with parts that were not related to the engine. I'm open to any of the engine brands.

I do think Kawasaki and Honda are the premier small engines. B&S Vangaurds I would assume are right there with them. Like I said.. no Kohler experience... so I won't comment on them.

/ Briggs versus Kohler..... #10  
I have a Bolens ST125 with a Kohler Command 12.5hp engine. I bought it in Feb. 1993. The only "repair" on the engine is the eletronic ingition I think. Its on the flywheel, tells the spark plug when to spark. Last year it quit charging the battery. It has OHV and pressurized oiling with spin on filter. The only complaint I have is when changing the oil filter, oil gets everywhere as the filter is facing down. There is a little plug on the filter flange that I could setup to drain the filter, but after having it this long..............