Homelite saw

/ Homelite saw #1  

lawnduster

Bronze Member
Tractor
CAT 966, Case 580
anybody have an opinion on Homelite chainsaws

/ Homelite saw #2  
I can only say that my buddie loves his. I have a Husky though and love it.

/ Homelite saw #3  
Depends on what it will be used for. I have a Husky 365.

Egon

/ Homelite saw #4  
I had a Ranger(?) quite a while back. For a cheap occasional-use trimming saw, it was a pretty good saw. Always started easily.

I can't tell you how they are long term because mine got stolen when it was only about 2 years old. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I think they're just over $100.00 at Home Disappointment.
/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Homelite saw #5  
For an occasional use saw, it should do fine for you. I had a few (the older the better) but had problems with some of the newer ones.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you can step up to a Stihl or Husqvarna, you'll probably be a lot happier. I found great prices on www.alamia.com A Husky 137 or 142 (which are probably close to the Ranger) is around $200.

/ Homelite saw #6  
This is where I got my Husky Rancher 55, it was by far the best deal I found. Delivered to my house was $50less than the local retailers sale price before tax.

http://www.southwestfastener.com/

/ Homelite saw #7  
I have a Homelite saw originally 14” bar. It never oiled the bar and chain well enough causing both to overheat and wear prematurely. Thought it might be just mine but a neighbor bought one a few years after I bought mine and his brand new didn’t oil the chain at all.

I now have a Poulan 18” that I used to cut 30 huge Eucalyptus trees. That alone should have used it up, but it still runs fine after years of use. The chain oiler WORKS and uses the proper amount....a tank of oil to a tank of gas.

Just bought an Echo string trimmer and it is really nice and smooth, that would be my choice of saw for sure. But the Poulan works fine, Echo would by first choice, and I would NEVER AGAIN buy any Homelite. Just my opinions......basically to me....ANYTHING but Homelite.

/ Homelite saw #8  
I just replaced my Homelite with an Echo. The Homelite worked fine, it's a B&S engine, and has gone thru six chains and a couple of bars. The carb required rebuilding at one point, however after a while it wouldn't idle properly, and its operation became intermittent. At the end of its life the engine was smoking terribly, and I couldn't figure out why? It wouldn't start, there was spark, compression and fuel, I assume that something got messed up with the timing - someday I'll take it apart and figure it out. Lastly, Home Depot stopped carrying the replacement chains???

However, the Echo is a fantastic saw and well worth the money.

/ Homelite saw #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( replacement chains???
)</font>

Chains are generic. all you need is length, pitch and gauge.

Egon

/ Homelite saw #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( At the end of its life the engine was smoking terribly, and I couldn't figure out why? It wouldn't start, there was spark, compression and fuel,)</font>

Mark,

Pull the muffler off and make sure it's not clogged. Had the same symptoms and found that some mud wasps built a nest in the muffler.

Brian