Comments on Lawn Sweepers please

/ Comments on Lawn Sweepers please #1  

slowrev

Elite Member
Tractor
IH 2444
I have been thinking about getting a pull behind wheel powered lawn sweeper for leaf cleanup. Do they work ok ? Which ones are best ?

Thanks
Ben

/ Comments on Lawn Sweepers please #2  
Of the pull type, most have the sweeper in front of the 'bin'. I had one once that had the 'bin' in front of the sweeper, and I liked its performance much better (and dumping it was just an easy flip over the sweeper).

I found sweepers were a cheaper way to go than having a blower system, but much slower, and marginal on the sweeping job.

/ Comments on Lawn Sweepers please #3  
If you have place to dump it (from your tractor's seat) it will work. Remember there is no "shredding" so the bin will fill up quickly.

If you have to bag it, it will take you a very long time because no compaction of the leaves.

/ Comments on Lawn Sweepers please #4  
I've owned a Parker tow behind sweeper since 1979. It works best if used after cutting the lawn when all the clippings and leaves are on the top surface of the lawn. When the brush is properly set, it works very well. However it is possible to go so fast as to allow the brush to sweep the stuff in the air so high it misses the basket. And as long as you are pulling it, it is sweeping, and that includes pea gravel driveways, mulched walkways, or any other area covered with loose material that you have to drive over. On the plus side, it will fit any current tractor you have and any future tractor you might get without any adapters or special brackets, as long as it has a std. single hole tow hitch on the rear. Another plus is that with just a single hitch pin, it is on/off, no tools required and less than 15 seconds. I use it every fall at my mom's home to sweep up the leaves and dump them curbside where the local municipal government collects them. Parker makes a very nice sweeper, but they are quite expensive new. I found a decent used 42" wide one last year for $10 (guy had no clue as to what it was worth, which was at LEAST $100), and I still have my old original one which still works fine. Having used a sweeper and a bagger, I personally prefer the sweeper as I can stay on the tractor during the entire operation, but as mentioned above I don't have to bag it to the curb as my local govt. vacuums it all up loose.

/ Comments on Lawn Sweepers please
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It does appear that the sweepers work. I will get one. Lots cheaper than the vac things and lots simpler and easier to keep going too.

Ben

/ Comments on Lawn Sweepers please #6  
I recently bought one after asking the same questions. The one thing I can add is that it depends on the job. I have about 1.5acres to sweep the grass from. With all the rain lately it has been out of control. I bought the AgriFab 42" from the local home inprovement store and love it. If I had alot of trees or more land to do, it may not have been the ticket. I usually put my son on his 4wheeler and let him tow it around and dump it(he's even learned to back a trailer now) it is quick and easy, though it needs to be dumped several times for my yard. much more cost effective for me than a bagger or blower. Thanks to the guys that advised me...

/ Comments on Lawn Sweepers please #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've owned a Parker tow behind sweeper since 1979. It works best if used after cutting the lawn when all the clippings and leaves are on the top surface of the lawn. When the brush is properly set, it works very well. However it is possible to go so fast as to allow the brush to sweep the stuff in the air so high it misses the basket. And as long as you are pulling it, it is sweeping, and that includes pea gravel driveways, mulched walkways, or any other area covered with loose material that you have to drive over. On the plus side, it will fit any current tractor you have and any future tractor you might get without any adapters or special brackets, as long as it has a std. single hole tow hitch on the rear. Another plus is that with just a single hitch pin, it is on/off, no tools required and less than 15 seconds. I use it every fall at my mom's home to sweep up the leaves and dump them curbside where the local municipal government collects them. Parker makes a very nice sweeper, but they are quite expensive new. I found a decent used 42" wide one last year for $10 (guy had no clue as to what it was worth, which was at LEAST $100), and I still have my old original one which still works fine. Having used a sweeper and a bagger, I personally prefer the sweeper as I can stay on the tractor during the entire operation, but as mentioned above I don't have to bag it to the curb as my local govt. vacuums it all up loose. )</font>

I too have used a Parker and agree with everything that he has said. The only difference is that I now mulch my leaves. This works better than any sweeper and with much less work.

/ Comments on Lawn Sweepers please #8  
I bought an Estate Groom model 136 from Wikco Industries about four years ago and I am pleased with the sweeper. It is driven by 16 inch pneumatic tires on 8 inch rims. It has a clutch to disengage the brush while transporting and a 14 cu. ft. bag. The sweeper is heavily constructed and has a 36 inch wide sweep path. The machine is pricy but the quality is there. I paid $795.00. I pull it behind my Yanmar 1401 tractor and John Deere LX280 lawn tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Comments on Lawn Sweepers please #9  
Bontai Joe>> I want/need a sweeper! Give ya $15 plus shipping /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and you STILL make money!

/ Comments on Lawn Sweepers please #10  
I got one from Sears/Craftsman for $269. 17 cu ft.