DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator.

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I see where the DR says it will take down a tree up to 2.5 inches. I seriously doubt that it can do that. Any tree 2.5 inches around me won't budge if you hit it at ground level where the Dr or any similar brush cutter will hit it.

I would say that is all marketing hype, but maybe I'm wrong. )</font>
AESANDERS,
Unlike other brush mower brands I tested/rented before my DR purchase, the 17hp, 30"-cut DR Field & Brush Mower with the optional extra-think woodsy blade WILL take down most 2.5-inch trees and saplings in most soil conditions. Its high brush bar knocks down more things in front of the blade than you'd expect, or else it travels up the tree a bit until the cut is made. Above 2.5 inches, you may have to push down on the handlebars just a bit to make the initial cut a little higher and then go over the tree twice.

The 30" model definitely can handle larger trees than a 26" or 24" or 22" brush mower.

I'm also pleased with the 42" finish mower attachment, and its mulching, fine cut. The unit is belt-driven, but that seems fine for brush cutting and acceptable for limited grasscutting.

Another thing is outstanding warranty assistance from DR Power/ Country Home Products. I've cut extensive heavy-duty woodsy brush with mine. For the parts I've gone through (1 tire, 1 clutch, 1 welded brush bar broken off cover) they've sent out replacement parts assemblies right away without charge or hassle, even in year two.

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #12  
I have had the 17HP DR Brushcutter for 4 years and am extremely happy with it. I bought it to help clear the underbrush prior to getting the chainsaw out. The primary advantage of the DR is that it can get into places no tractor will ever get into (okay - not without major destruction).

As far as cutting ability - it all depends on the type of wood (i.e. your mileage will vary - you can always use a chainsaw for the larger stuff). Don't worry about the fact it has a belt - 17 HP is nothing for a belt drive (the shear pin will break before the belt).

I also have the snowblower and mower attachments. Both work well. My take on them is as follows:

1. Mower: The fact that you can get a 42" mower add-on is a nice benny but not a reason to buy the DR. There are much nicer mowers (riders and walk behinds) for the price of the DR + mower attachment. For my situation (I am only mowing two acres right now) it is more than adequate and the price over the initial DR Brushcutter investment was only $500.

2. Snowblower: I have only used it for only one snowfall (so far) and it worked well. The only reason I bought the DR attachment vice a dedicated unit was because I knew it would not get used much in VA. A dedicated unit, being idle for 12-36 month stretches between significant snowfalls (eight inches or more) will likely not start when needed. For $500-$600 the snowblower attachment is not a bad deal. I bought it shortly after the 24" snowfall we had a few years ago. Shoveling a 300' driveway was not fun. Even less fun was shoveling out the large mound of snow that the county snowplows piled up in front of my driveway (I was in pain for weeks).

As far as the generator attachment goes - I have been thinking about it but am still not convinced. My concern is that the DR is not designed to be strictly governed at a single RPM (like an engine set up for use with a generator) and that the output frequency will vary (low frequency can cause damage to some electrical devices). Price is not an advantage - a dedicated generator can be gotten for about the same price as the DR attachment. The only advantage I can see is that the engine will not be sitting idle for long stretches between uses. Like with the snowblower or a fire extinguisher - when you need it, you need it (i.e. it better work).

Anyways - I hope this helps with your decision.

Joe

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #13  
Have you looked for a used Gravely 2 wheel tractor? Very solid machines.

Solo

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #14  
I'd still say the BCS will outperform the DR hands down.

Look at this model

http://www.bcsshop.com/professional.htm

and this 30" brush mower:

http://www.bcsshop.com/mower.htm

and/or (BCS states it cuts down anythign that can be pushed over)

http://www.bcsamerica.com/attachments_details.cqs?catid=32706585e55411fc60ab29d6b5c3f739

Can also add this attachment among others:

http://www.bcsshop.com/chipper_shredder.htm

BCS is the market leader among these types of equipement for a reason. All shaft drive. Heavier frames. For instance the BCS 852 electric start 13hp machine with 30" brush mower weighs around 420lb's. The DR electric start with larger 17 hp motor weighs 354. The heavier machine will have more of a chance of knocking down a larger tree to shred. I still don't see either knocking down the 15ft 2.5 inch maple in my back yard. I can barely budge it pushing it at 5-6 ft in the air. And I'm a pretty big fellow.

Just look at all the extra features you'd get with the bcs...

Differential lock and individual wheel breaks to make turning a breeze, pto with quick attach that can switch attachments in 30 seconds, handle bars that turn 180 degrees alowing you to operate machine forward or reverse direction. Lifetime transmission warranty

I've seen them running generators as well. I'll have to do some searching to find where I saw them though.

Do a search on this site and other similar sites to get a better understanding of these machines. Their was a great thread awhile back about 2 wheel tractors that has a great deal of info on it. Talks alot about BCS, Gravely and some other less common machines.

Here is the 2 wheel tractor thread. Great reading:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/genbuy/Number/451882/page/0/view//sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1

Speaking of Gravely, if you are at all interested in some great used machines, there are quite a few of the Gravely walk behinds around. These were some real work horse machines. Much more substantial than the DR's. Not quite as refined as the BCS's, but these can be found for relativley inexpensive pricing. Just check out EBAY, they generally have several listed at any given time.

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #15  
I can't say which is better or worse - only know what I have experience on. Weight of the machine is always a good thing but not necessarily the most important to getting the job done. It all depends on which parts of the machine are behind the added weight. Most important is the weight of the blade and the amount of momentum behind it. Everything else is secondary.

Anyways - I put my two cents in the mix. Good luck hunting

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #16  
Don't get me wrong , I'm not trying to knock the Dr. I'm sure it is a great brush cutter. But I don't think the machine in general has near the amount of versatility that the BCS has.

Also, just look at the markets they go after. DR has always marketed to the Consumer/homeowner. BCS has always marketed to the professional. BCS sells more units (worldwide by a large marging), yet most consumers/homeowners have never even heard of them.

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #17  
The DR does have one significant advantage...Cost. The 17 hp model is $2500

The larger BCS tractor before attachments usually start off around 3k. Add the brush mower and your up to 4k.

Again, I strongly believe you usually get what you pay for, but in this circumstance if the DR does all you need, then that would keep $1500 in your pocket.

I got the BCS primarily because of the tiller features, something that the DR does not do at all. If the extra attachements of the BCS are useless to someone, then by all means look elseware.

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #18  
I just looked at the BCS and earthtools websites. The BCS does look to be a very impressive machine. A bit pricey - but as we all know - you get what you pay for. The Honda engines (if they are the red Hondas) are the best gas engines on the market and will outlast just about anything else.

However, the cost of a red Honda engine can run between one and a half to three times the cost of other gas engines on the market (you get what you pay for - the rings, pistons, etc. are all top notch). The fact that BCS offers diesel as their only other option says to me that they are building their products for the long haul.

I also like the wide range of available attachments for the BCS. I wish DR would put out a tiller and chipper attachment for their unit as it would save me from having yet another stand-alone engine lying around (needing oil, carbs cleaned and etc.).

What it really comes down to is economics. The 13 HP BCS is a bit over $4000 with brushcutter and electric start and the 13HP DR is about $2000. Both are rated to cut 1.5" saplings.

Between the two - methinks the BCS, with its Honda engine will outlast the DR's B&S engine (the red Honda engine is a professional engine designed for 40 hour a week operation). The question is that for twice the price - will the average homeowner see the benefit of better engine longevity. To me - the only justification for going to the BCS product would be if one wanted all of their garden tools running off the same professional engine frame (which would greatly ease the engine maintenance issues). In short - it all comes down to a cost/value assessment.

Anyways - it has been a good discussion. I wish you a good night.

Joe

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #19  
I can't imagine paying $4K for something you can't even ride.

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #20  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( I can't imagine paying $4K for something you can't even ride. )</font>

I'm with you Alan L.

They're trying to figure out which machine to walk behind and I'm trying to figure how to win the lottery so I can buy a AC Cab tractor /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Its still almost 100 degrees down here... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif