DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator.

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
Has anyone had used/owned the DR Brush Mower/Finish Mower or generator? How did it work? Is it reliable?

DR has a "sale" going on until 10/13 that is 20% off. They always seem to have a sale going on with 10% to 15% being the usual.

While I have a JD4700 with a MX 6 there are places that I cannot get the mower into easily. My septic field contractor told me to keep my tractor off the leach field. I have spent 5 hard hours with a weed swing cutting weeds and grass. I figure I have another 1-2 hours to finish. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I also use a Stilh brush cutter but I want to keep the brush down on 5-10 acres. That hand held cutter tain't gonna do it. Nor will my back. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Grass or something that looks like grass is growing in our yard. Right now with the draught I have been mowing with the 4700. I don't think that is going to work when the ground is wet... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So we need a bigger lawn mower than my little 21 inch. DR has a finish mower that attaches to the engine kind like a PTO.

They also have a 6000/5500 watt generator that attaches the same way. Its barely enough for what I think we need but the price is right. Anyone have one of these?

We can spend money on a good generator which we will hopefully never use or we can buy the DR equipment which will be used constantly. So I think we are going for the DR.

Any opinions on the company and products? We are looking at their 17 HP brush mower.

Thanks,
Dan

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #2  
Dan,

I have the 17 hp DR Field and Brush Mower and think a lot of it. I have also had 2 other lower horsepower units that I also liked, but the 17 hp version shines. I do not have the finish mower deck or generator. One advantage of the 17 hp unit is that it comes with a 30 inch wide deck which is wider than the tire tracks. On the lower power units, the deck is slightly narrower than the overall width of the tires. For rough mowing that might not be significant, but I like the neat job that is provided by the larger deck.

I use my DR primarily on steep slopes. The only negative I find is that it takes quite a bit of effort to make a sharp turn due to the stiffness of the differential. The differential is effective in providing traction on sideslopes so it does work as intended, but the consequence is that it makes turning difficult.

I don't think you would be disappointed in the 17 hp DR.

JackIL

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #3  
If you are really serious about gettng a walk behind tractor that can be used for a variety of chores, I would strongly suggest looking into getting a bcs tractor. BCS walk behinds have several attachments including all the attachments you mentioned above.
Here is a link to a very good dealer that specializes in BCS equipment.
http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/

Check them out. I have a 830 model myself (an older model that closest resembles the 852 currently being sold), and currently only the tiller attachment. I did a tremendous amount of research on these type of machines prior to purchasing. I'm very impressed with this machines construction and functionality.

BCS has sickle bar mowers, finish mowers and brush mowers available that would work well for your situation.

BCS is recognized as producing about the best tiller available in the U.S. Other attachments that I've read good results on are their chipper/shredder and snowblowers.

Hope that helps
Aaron

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #4  
I would all say that the BCS would be a better unit, for the most part. The transmission is all gears, no belts like the DR. There are many more attachments for the BCS. I did hear that the transmission is garanteed forever (but that does seem pretty far out). They are built like a tank, even though i have never used one ive seen them at the rental yard. There are some drawbacks. The first is the gears, the 852 is the only unit with the groundspeeds to keep up a mower. There is no generator available. However there is a splined PTO (like a tractor) but it is not a 540 rpm unit. I am sure a generator can be made to it. Unlike many lawn tractors the PTO can be kept as speed with no operator. Good luck!

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #5  
I have a 13HP DR, and I have to say it does exactly what the ads show. It can't be beat for getting into tight areas where your tractor won't go. Along stone walls, in rough ground, right to the edge of a pond, on steep slopes, etc.

It's a workout to use it on rough ground and I think a small person could have trouble. It's a 300+ pound machine to muscle around I think.

I inherited mine from my dad, who had a TroyBilt siclke mower - an old one - before and really loved the DR over it. SO I never comparison shopped in re the BCS others have mentioned.

DR customer service is excellent also, the two times I've used them. I would recommend it.

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator.
AESanders adn Timberxx,

Thanks for the info. I have not heard of BCS before. I looked at them but I can't find a generator listed. They mowers look like they can only take down a inch tree. I need a bit more than that though.

Thanks,
Dan

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator.
JackIL, Robison,

Thanks as well for the info. One of the reasons to buy a mower like the DR is that I have some areas that the have a slope that I'm not going to put the tractor on. And some areas are just plain tight.

Later,
Dan

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #8  
I've had an old DR for many years ... no pneumatic tires and no reverse. It's definitely not one of those "sexy" new ones but it works very well. It's a lot harder work than the advertisements make it look though, both to maneuvre and walk behind. I have the finishing deck and I must say it's probably one of the best mowers I've ever owned. Changing the cutting height is a bit of a pain and again it's difficult to move around with no reverse but it cuts very well. I bought it originally to mow around the lake and clear out some thick stuff there in some tight spots and all in all, it's been a very good machine. It starts easily every time and just runs and runs. I don't know about the generator, though I did see it in their catalogue.

If you have a use for it and don't mind wrestling with it, I'd recommend it to anyone and as someone else said, the one time I needed them, their service department was very good.

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #9  
I see where the DR says it will take down a tree up to 2.5 inches. I seriously doubt that it can do that. Any tree 2.5 inches around me won't budge if you hit it at ground level where the Dr or any similar brush cutter will hit it.

I would say that is all marketing hype, but maybe I'm wrong.

/ DR Brush Mowers, Finish Mowers and generator. #10  
I have a DR field/brush mower with 15 HP. the thing is unstoppable it will make quick work of weeds 6 plus feet tall. And I have personally cut down trees over 3 inches thick with it. It just climbs up the tree, bends it down with its weight, and cut it off. It will also just crawl right over big rocks and fallen logs. There is also a multitude of attachments that go to it, and they just attach by simply pulling pin. I even made a woodsplitter to go on it.