Which riding mower has the most suction?

/ Which riding mower has the most suction? #1  

DHargrave

Trying to find a riding mower with the best ability to pick up leaves, clippings and yard debris. Tried the JD L-111 and am testing a JD LTR-180. OK tractors but weak on suction. Does anyone have experience with the JD power flow option or have an opinion on what brand/type of mower has the best bagging air flow system to pick up lawn debris like leaves etc?

Thanks,

/ Which riding mower has the most suction? #2  
Any rider with a convertible mulching deck ?
Ben

/ Which riding mower has the most suction? #3  
The blades under the mower deck create lift, I'm not sure about suction. They do make vacuum units that you can mount to a tractor which can attach a chute to the discharge portion of your mower deck and bins mounted to the back of the tractor to collect the clippings, leaves, etc.

/ Which riding mower has the most suction? #4  
I have heard that some brands really suck. But due to anti bashing rules I can't say more /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

/ Which riding mower has the most suction? #5  
Without a doubt, of all the mowers I have owned or tried, the Snapper's have haved the best vacuum ability. The problem with Snapper was the old riders used a "disc" drive that in my opinion was mediocre at best. I still have my Snapper 21" purchased in 1976 and a Snapper ride on purchased in 1988. Both really suck, but if I were buying a rider, I don't think Snapper would be in my future. The push mowers are still quite good and available with Honda engines.

/ Which riding mower has the most suction? #6  
I have had the power flow on the 400 series and now the X series Deere, and manage to pick leaves and debris up quite well. Debris includes pine needles, pine cones, some acorns, wet and dry leaves, and some pretty good size sticks.

As to the question, how could anyone have such vast knowledge to be able to answer which has the most suction? How would one measure it? Too many variables to pin that down to a specific answer.

What I have works, and works good. But no way could I or would I say it is 'the most' even tho I might think that /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I have no experience with any other.

I suspect (don't know) that the pick-up systems with the auxillary engine driving a separate 'blower' could have more suction as long as the mower deck and blades can deliver the grass and leaves over to the inlet of the 'system'. Mulching systems doubtfully can do that as they are designed to drop things down and chopped up.

You don't have an easy question to figure out. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Which riding mower has the most suction? #7  
I have a self propelled mulching walk behind mower. It has a chute to convert it to a bagger or blow the stuff out the side. With a bagger it picks up everything. Mulchers are designed with high lift to keep sucking up the clippings and reducing them into finer and finer pieces.
Ben

/ Which riding mower has the most suction? #8  
I agree /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Which riding mower has the most suction? #9  
Like Gatorboy said; I think it really deals with your blades. I have a 42" and a 46" Murry mower with baggers and the OEM blades are crap. I can't remember the brand name of the blades I went to, but I purchased them from HD. They are better thicker blades and provide more air movement under the deck (suction) and hold an edge longer.

The OEM blades (supposed to be for bagging and mulching) would clog the chute with dry leaves. These blades will allow the mower to pick up acorns, small gravel, and leaves without much fuss.

If you are trying to bag grass clippings; you will have to slow your speed of travel down quite a bit. Just my experience.

Fig

/ Which riding mower has the most suction? #10  
I have a Snapper 28" hi-vac rear engine rider that I use to mow thorns and junk (mini bushhog) and it will pick up everything and that's why I use it to shred Mesquite and Honey locus thorns after removing trees.
I just use the standard OEM style blade.