Reducing rollover tendency

/ Reducing rollover tendency #1  

DHargrave

My new home is high on a hill and I mow quite a bit of lawn that is terraced and hilly. My JD LTR-180 has more of a tendency to tip than did my old previous mower. The JD dealer has suggested I fill the tires with beet juice and possibley add wheel weights as well. Beet juice does weigh about 11 lbs / gal and adding weight to the wheels in any form will of course reduce the roll center height but I would like to hear from any one who has gone through this exercise to determine if it's worthwhile.

Also has anyone experience with a pull behind auxillary powered bagging unit? If so how is it at picking up lawn debris?

/ Reducing rollover tendency #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...to determine if it is worthwhile. )</font>

I'd think it would beat rolling over, and also may satisfy the 'rollover tendency' you are 'feeling'. Usually the 'feeling' of rollover is long before 'rollover', but its the 'feeling' that should be addressed. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Reducing rollover tendency #3  
how tall are you? when sitting on tractor. are you cutting up and down the hill?if not and cutting side to side will increase your chances of tipping over.beet juice what about apple or orange Lol what about beer in those tires lol get a better tractor get a garden tractor with wider stance. upgrade your deer or get a cub 2000 series or 3000 would be fine. shaft drive no belts to break on that hill.

/ Reducing rollover tendency #4  
Fill your tyres with water.
Works wonders, can go much further over before rolling, trust me, I've tried.
Also helps traction up slopes.
Good luck

/ Reducing rollover tendency #5  
Did you fill the tires with water or beet juice or anything, and if so did it help? You might want to look into getting wider tires and wheels for another JD or other tractor that would have the same bolt pattern and fill those as well. It would add more width and more weight below the center of gravity.