Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L1-20 DT

Default Briggs & Stratton Oil Leak

I have a B&S engine 12HP Model 286707 in my Victa rideon mower. The engine uses heaps of oil, but I suspect it is leaking, rather than burning. I suspect a seal at the bottom of the engine where it goes through the mower chassis to where the pulleys bolt on.

Any ideas as to how easy this is to fix ??

Neil R.

Tractor
    JD 955, Economy Power King

Default Re: Briggs & Stratton Oil Leak

You may be able to remove the seal without removing the engine from the mower. You'll
    need to lift the mower to access the underside of the engine. Remove the deck & pulley.
    Using a pick or screwdriver dig out the old seal. Make sure you don't nick the shaft. You
    may want to use emory cloth to make sure there are no burrs to harm the new seal. Place
    the new seal on the shaft & using a piece of pipe that fits over the shaft & the same size
    as the seal, drive the new seal into the crankcase sump. This should solve your oil leak, if
    it was the seal. Make sure it isn't leaking at the crankcase gasket. If it is you will have to
    remove the engine to replace the gasket. Also if you do that you might as well replace the
    oil seal. Hope this helps.-Ron