Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Zennoh 2210 / Cub Cadet 3240

Default Re: Small Engine Exhaust Question

One more question while I'm on a roll [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If it is fairly easy to make a small engine like this quieter by modifying the muffler, exhaust pipes, whatever, why don't the manufacturers do it for lawn tractor and such? I'm just curious, seems like it would be a good selling point. Is there some sort of trade-off to changing the exhaust, like less engine life, more fuel consumption, causes cancer (in California only), or something like that?

Just curious [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Default Re: Small Engine Exhaust Question

My experience with gold dredges like this:
    Link [I don't know those people]
    was that after putting on an inexpensive new stock muffler, nearly all the racket is mechanical clatter from the engine itself. In that application, the engine is run at full throttle/full load whenever it is in use and you are standing right next to it. Plugging the exhaust momentarily didn't quiet it much.

I see you have the hood there. I recommend you insulate it to reduce noise. Years ago the auto stores sold underhood sound-insulation bats and you might see if you can find some of that material to line it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12