My shredder/vac/blower shocks my hand!!!!!!!

/ My shredder/vac/blower shocks my hand!!!!!!! #1  

Gavman

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 4940
I recently bought a reconstructed echo ES-210 shred-n-vac. It shocks my hand when I use it. Not bad, although I can definetly feel it. I wonder if when it was reconstructed a ground wire wasn't put back on or something. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem, and how to fix it. I'm tired of getting shocked.
Thanks,
Gavin

/ My shredder/vac/blower shocks my hand!!!!!!! #2  
If its when you are using it , it could be static elec. I have read about this condition on some blowers. Some blowers have a ground wire attatched
to them from the factory to prevent this.The static is caused by the air blowing through the plastic tubes.

/ My shredder/vac/blower shocks my hand!!!!!!!
It is mainly when I am using it to vacuum leaves. I just got it yesterday though and don't remember if it does when I am using it too blow.

/ My shredder/vac/blower shocks my hand!!!!!!! #4  
Gavman, looks like this is a common problem with blower / vacs. I was poking around a bit and found this one note in another manufacturers manual about static discharge:

<font color="blue">NOTE: Do not wear rubber or any other insulated gloves to avoid static electricity shock.</font>

I'm not sure what the logic it behind that statement, but thought I'd pass it along.

Also found the following article that explains the ESD problem in detail and what one manufacturer is doing to combat it.

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA107902.html

I'm not pushing any specific brand, in fact I don't even own one of these blower / vacs but plan to buy one soon. This will probably be something I research a little more. Just thought the info was interesting. Good luck!

/ My shredder/vac/blower shocks my hand!!!!!!! #5  
I just bought a large commerical type back pac blower & There were several discussions on this topic. If I remember right echo was the brand that was discussed of having a problem. The person that taken the blower back for that reason.