B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds

/ B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds #1  

Phil_Petree

All,

I have a Poulan with a Briggs and Stratton 4HP engine. (I inherited this so I don't know its full history but from the new shiny paint and lack of rust I would safely venture that it's relatively new - less than two years old.)

I can start the engine by pressing the primer bulb 3-4 times and pulling the starter cord. The engine will run for 3-4 seconds (until the fuel is exhausted). After the engine starts if I continue to press the primer bulb the engine will continue running.

I have taken the carb off and cleaned it and all the associated lines. There was/is no debris in the tank. There is fresh gas in the tank.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Phil

/ B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds #2  
It sounds like a definate fuel problem. Is there a plugged fuel filter ? Or perhaps the inside of the fuel line has collapsed ? A small screen slimed over in the gas tank ? Otherwise it must be in the carb, I would think.

Ben

/ B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds #3  
We had an engine on a log splitter do the same thing. We kept pushing the primer bulb even after it started and just kept pushing it until the motor shut off. After doing this about 3 times, the motor took off. Never did find out what the problem was. It has worked fine ever since.
Good luck

/ B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds #4  
I would suspect that it was a plugged jet and the engine finally sucked the obstruction thru. I recommend adding an inline filter to all small engines if they do not already have one.

Ben

/ B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds #5  
Something you can try is pull the air filter off and when you get it started close off the intake to choke the snot out of it and pull your hand away when it boggs down and repet this till it runs on its own, this may or may not help but it is worth a try.

/ B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds #6  
Make sure there are no obstructions in the muffler/exhaust!

/ B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds #7  
good call fmsssi.

Also perhaps a leaky seal from the carb to the engine ?

Ben

/ B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds #8  
as one poster suggested theres a turd in the main jet---happened to me, rusty bowl simplex is a primary cause from alcohol gas in our area. Alcohol attracts water.

/ B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds #9  
It happened to me also, take off the carb/fuel tank, seperate the carb from the tank. Connected to the carb is a plastic tube that goes to the bottom of the tank. There is a small screen on the bottom of the plastic tube that clogs. Clean it off and that should be it. Be carefull seperating the carb from the tank because there is a gasket. You will notice that the carb is also made of plastic.If worse comes to worse get the model number off the engine and order a carb kit. Good luck.

/ B&S 4HP Quatro will only run for 3-4 seconds #10  
the carb diaphragm/gasket is bad,probably sucked in at the intake