Help me come up with a mowing plan

/ Help me come up with a mowing plan #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
Hi folks. I just moved to 60 acres, and my 24 inch push mower quit. well, it actually exploded. It was a suspected mower suicide. But no matter, I have moved on to my own problems, mainly coming spring and grass that will need mowing.

I have a 50 hp utility tractor and a bush hog. The Bhog cuts like a rusty chainsaw.

Decision: buy a used riding mower, (300 bucks) a new sears cheapie for 900 bucks, an entry level deere from my dealer so they can service it (1500 bucks) or a cheap zero turn for 5000 bucks, or just get a pull behind finish mower for my ag-tired tractor?

help me oh wise ones! Oh, and money is an issue, but I gotta gir er done.

/ Help me come up with a mowing plan #2  
How much of that are you planning to mow?

Quite a jump between $1500 and $5000! If you're looking at much area, I really like your thinking that ZTR's start at that figure. By the same logic though, the $1500 tractor style mowers don't impress me much if you have much area or abuse.

You already have the tractor, so I'm thinking a really stout GT or a ZTR, unless it's just a small area around your house. If obstacles are an issue, the Z looks pretty nice; really bumpy stuff, maybe the GT is better.

<font color="blue"> help me oh wise ones! </font> ooops!

already wrote it...may as well post! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Help me come up with a mowing plan
right now I am going to have three acres to mow. I can bush hog it but I am not really happy with that scenario.

/ Help me come up with a mowing plan #4  
Actually, I think a lot of mid-priced machines are spec'd for around that type of area. The closest comparisons I have are a little on each side of 3acres:

1. On my mother's place [between 5 & 8 acres: depending upon the weather and what she wanted cut] the Z really cut time from the previous well built garden tractor. Strange combination of tight spots, open spots, and nasty stuff [things that didn't get mowed for three weeks in a row....not too much really bumpy]
2. On our place [1 acre: half open area and lots of obstacles everywhere else] the same machine makes our old cheapo lawn tractor seem like torture [but I sure like the payments better: 1/2 pint of oil per use....hasn't died yet!]

We'll it's obvious which way I lean these days; not the right choice for everyone, but I don't think [dedicated] mower shopping is complete without trying a ZTR too.

Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Help me come up with a mowing plan #5  
I would invest in a pull behind finish mower.and break up the 60 acres. Cutting 60 acres you will be cutting every day!try 30 acres every two week.15 acres a week .2.5 acres a day and have sunday off!Trust me you do not want to cutt using a z turn or a cheap john deere or a cheap sears,they will break down!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Help me come up with a mowing plan #6  
<font color="blue"> help me oh wise ones! </font>
I have never let request like this stop me from giving my opinion. Wise or not. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Cutting grass is not one of my favorite task. So getting it done in as short of a time as possible is how I look at the job. Smaller takes more time. An attachment for a 50 HP tractor will always be off when you need to mow the lawn. Remove attachment that is on tractor and install mower (takes time). It will be quite larger. Which will make it hard to get around tight spots.
I would look for a 50-60" used Front Mower (first choice, because I have one), ZTR, or larger lawn tractor.
HD around my area is selling JD model tractors at $4-500 off. A little on the small size but would be less money.

/ Help me come up with a mowing plan #7  
It sounds like 3 arces to start with....maybe expand to 5 or 10? Use the BushHog for any mowing in the "back 40"?

If so, that makes any of Ron's options sound really good! No doubt the first two would be up to task. Does HD have any of the heavier units? If so, that $500 off doesn't hurt!

If you don't like the HD offerings, look at all your local dealers and see if you can find an '05. Tis the time of year for a good bargen on mowers.

/ Help me come up with a mowing plan #8  
Buying a Sears "cheapie" would be a huge let down for you. The "cheapie" is not made to mower several acres of ground every week.
My yard is just over 5 acres and I have a 50" cut with a 24hp Kohler. 3hi/3lo trans. 2 acres gets mowed every week, the other 3 and changed get every 2 weeks.

I think the finish mower idea tossed out there was a good one if you plan on expanding your yard area in the future.

/ Help me come up with a mowing plan #9  
I have a JD LT150 that I bought new and use to cut about 1ac with. Overall, I was a bit disapointed with the new product. It wouldnt stop me from letting someone else take the loss and get one used though. It would definitly be too small for what you want to do. I like the z turn for my next investment.. JMO, but I am far from a wise one here...